Buckeye burl and Warthog tusk

Lerch

I made this one for a shooting buddy of mine. He went on a hunt in Africa over the summer and managed to find a warthog tusk while he was over there. He brought the tusk back with him and asked me if i could include it in a knife somewhere. Well i waited on the project until i felt like i had learned enough to where i wouldnt ruin anything since i only had one horn to work with. The horn he gave me wasnt enough to do a hidden tang knife so instead i cut it into slabs for some center pieces. this is my first time using buckeye burl and i gotta say i love the wood, i just really like the colors it brings. I ran the thong hole way to close to the edge but thankfully everything held and nothing split, i wont be making that mistake again!

The knife is one of my 8.5" huntsman models
1095 differentially heat treated
convex ground
mirror finished
brass bolsters
warthog tusk
buckeye burl
mosaic pins

pics
DSC_0666.jpg

DSC_0668.jpg

DSC_0675.jpg

DSC_0679.jpg

DSC_0680.jpg

DSC_0682.jpg

let me know what ya think,

thanks
steve

I really like your blade design and the Buckeye. I just don't like the bright white in the middle, to me it breaks up the flow of this knife.
If the Buckeye was replaced with something like African blackwood or buffalo horn it would have a much nicer flow. Just my opinion, for what it is worth. :p You show nice craftsmanship with your design and remember you can't please all of the people all of the time.
Wade

Thanks guys,

im pretty happy with this one, outside of the thong hole i am learning to minimize errors more and more. I can see what you are saying Wade and i think it would have looked good also with some black horn for the majority of the handle. The guy i made it for liked the wood and the white horn (warthog tusk) was his and that was the purpose of the knife from the beginning.

something in a opposing color would have looked good though, i never thought about it. in the end i am pretty happy with the burl though also :)

now i just gotta get Larry Parsons to make a sheath for it

thanks
steve

Back