Chevron 70 quench oil

JDW

I found Jantz now has quench oil, it is Chevron Texaco 70. Does anyone have any experience with Chevron 70? Is it a fast or med. oil? I found this but it doen't mean much to me, it would appear it could be a fast oil, when it says the initial cooling rate of water.
http://www.alexisoil.com/pdf/ChevronQuenchingOil70.pdf

if this is a fast oil that would be good for 1095, the price is good at $49.95 per gallon.

Dale

If I am reading right, that's about an "11 second" oil. Not going to be as fast as some of the fastest oil, and that price isn't super either. Check out Maxim Oil. They've got a couple different oils that will work, for much cheaper that 50 bucks a gallon.

Thanks Jason, that is what I was looking for. I use Brownells Tough Quench now for O1 and 1095, may be a little slow for 1095, I think it is a 9-10 sec. oil. I would like to have some Parks 50 for the 1095, but can't find it in small quantities.
Thanks again, Dale

Thanks Jason, that is what I was looking for. I use Brownells Tough Quench now for O1 and 1095, may be a little slow for 1095, I think it is a 9-10 sec. oil. I would like to have some Parks 50 for the 1095, but can't find it in small quantities.
Thanks again, Dale

If you call Lee Neves at Maxim Oil, he has a formula he made up just for us, called DT-48, I've used it on 1084 and W-2., I heat it up with a piece of steel I add in the kiln while the blade is heating and then put it in my oil before I quench, I don't do that for 1084 just W-2, and if i do a 1095 blade, I would use that method. Another thing, Lee sells Parks, or did, the last I heard. Thing is, the Maxim was 62.50 for 5 gallons the last time I bought it, plus shipping, which was still under a $100. I'm not sure what quantities he sells the parks in. I remember is was reasonable for parks. BUT, the Maxim is great stuff! Being that he took the time and effort to make this oil just for usKnife Dogs, I'd urge you to support him, as he is supporting us, unheard of these days with quench oil folks, other than Houghton, that's about it. He is a super nice guy and will take the time to talk to you if you have any questions, hope this helps, Rex

Dale, I bought 5 gal of Parks 50 from Lee about a month ago. It was total $ 118 delivered to south Miss. Jerry

12:55 am , Just called my oldest son at Chevron and asked him if they make a#70 oil out there. He said that all they make is fuel. Bummer--- Jerry

Last edited:
Back