Primal/Tactical EDC

Stormcrow

This one walked out of my shop today in the hands of an airman. I had not made a sheath yet and didn't have any pics, so I built a quick foldover Kydex sheath while he waited and snapped some pictures.

The blade is just under 5" long, forged from 3/4" round 5160 spring steel. Triple normalized, triple hardened in canola oil, triple tempered, shaving sharp; the usual. The tang runs the full length of the handle and is wrapped in paracord with a black underlay and desert tan overlay. The paracord is impregnated with Minwax Wood Hardener, essentially making a composite material in situ, and anchors through a hole drilled in the end of the tang. The underlay still has its core, while the overlay and the single-strand Turk's head knot have had the core stripped.

primaltac7.jpg

primaltac6.jpg

The sheath has a small MOLLE lock. The shiny spot on it is where I got it a smidge too warm with the heat gun.

Can't beat OCS for a good blade! The handle is exceptional and I especially like the turks head knot at the top. A wee bit partial to leather, but I can see the need for a MOLLE rig here as well. Great work! I use a mix of diesel and oil myself. Have never used Canola.

Gaelic Forge - I have used plenty of salvaged steel, but as I am starting to focus on blades with a military end user in mind, I have moved away from that simply because I need to know what the metal is for certain, and I don't need stress cracks showing up at inopportune times. So this is new 5160 from Ray Kirk in Oklahoma, a great guy to deal with.

Canola works great and isn't toxic. It's what I use for all of my knife blades, though I have some slower commercial quench oil for axes.

Back