Forgive me

Gahagan

Forgive my ignorance but I have been wondering for a while what it is that classsifies knife as neo tribal. I once thought it was simplicity but have seen some very well made knives from this group. Can someone explain this to me?

so does that imply that a simple knife can't be a well made knife.:les:

for me it was about making a knife with as little as possible. Out of that grew a desire to not make knives like everybody else. for me i always equate knife making with making music. in music you may start by imitating someone else, but ultimately you want to find your own sound. Something that makes you distinct. So you'll go and learn scales (forging techniques), progressions( equipment adaptation), and song structure (overall design elements) and by combining those ideas with you (mind,heart,soul) you'll get something unique.

I'm not a big fan of Wikipedia but they say it fairly well;

"Neotribalism or modern tribalism is the ideology that human beings have evolved to live in tribal society, as opposed to mass society, and thus will naturally form social networks constituting new "tribes."

"French sociologist Michel Maffesoli was perhaps the first to use the term neotribalism in a scholarly context.Maffesoli predicted that as the culture and institutions of modernism declined, societies would embrace nostalgia and look to the organizational principles of the distant past for guidance, and that therefore the post-modern era would be the era of neotribalism."

But I am a big fan of ME, from my site;

"Name is Randy Church, the older of Church&Son and I was born ’bout 140 years too late. Cowboys, Indians, Pirates, Buck skinners, CSA Soldiers, Fur traders, Leatherworkers, Blacksmiths, complaining about the North, handmade knives and old shotguns, that’s my time period. I was born in 1959, instead of 1809, so I have to live in 2012- but my lovely bride allows me to play in 1865.

One of my Grandmothers was Apache Indian, my Grandfather born and bred Appalachian Mountain Man, both started me on a lifelong appreciation of the way things used to be done before electricity, I’m not saying better, just a desire to not let these talents go by the proverbial wayside. I have four generations of Blacksmith in me and am determined to pass that on."

Back