Nt kith?

jonathan creason

Just a thought that's been bouncing around in my noggin the past few days (and there's plenty of room up there for it to bounce), but would any of ya'll be interested in having a KITH within this subforum. In all the various trades I've taken part in on other forums I've had a ton of fun, ended up with some really cool items, and was forced to really do the best job I could possibly do. We've got several regular posters on here, and I thought it might be a good chance for any lurkers that have been thinking of joining the fun to go "all in".

In all honesty I'm real hesitant to even post this because I know my work isn't anywhere near the caliber as.............well, any of you. These things are just a lot of fun though, and I always love seeing what everybody comes up with.

Anyway, just throwing it out there for consideration. No hard feelings at all if no one's interested.

I have never been involved in a KITH but just the thought of a "rusty/crusty" gets my attention. I would be in!!!! Wade

I don't normally post in this forum because I love my grinder, but... I can make exceptions.
I'm in.

What kind of timeframe are you looking at to run the KITH? Any theme, or pretty much any neo-tribal style blade? I haven't been in a KITH in a long time, I might have to throw my hat in the ring.

Laurence,

KITH stands for Knife In The Hat. The ones that take place on the forums are a modern rendition of an old hammer-in practice where the 'smiths that got together would each bring something that they had made/forged. They'd place the item in the hat, then each would take a turn drawing out an item that another had made.

In that spirit, the forum KITH's are usually done the same way. Each participant makes a knife, the organizer selects the participants at random, and each person sends a knife to someone, and in turn receives a knife from someone else. It's done in good fun, with no pressure (except the deadlines!). In many of the KITH's I've participated in there has been no restrictions on who can participate, and everyone has the understanding that you may receive a knife from a noob, or you might receive a high quality professional-looking piece from an experienced maker. Some other KITH's I've seen elsewhere have restricted participants to experienced makers only--it really depends on what the group or organizer wants. Some KITH's have had themes. Several years back on another knife forum the neotribal theme was to make a knife out of only recycled materials--no new stock.

Nathan

I like the idea. I have always thought grandpa's barn had some good stuff in it. Old farm parts, broken shovel hands, and the old rusty nails. Sounds like some time spent in his yard would be fun.

Count me in on this too. I'd love to beat some ol' steel into a neo-tribal blade. KITH's are great. It is so cool getting a knife from someone and passing one on to someone else. A June 1 deadline would give everyone lots of time. Think I'll start on one soon cuz my brain is working overtime on ideas. Come on let's just do it.

Laurence,

KITH stands for Knife In The Hat. The ones that take place on the forums are a modern rendition of an old hammer-in practice where the 'smiths that got together would each bring something that they had made/forged. They'd place the item in the hat, then each would take a turn drawing out an item that another had made.

In that spirit, the forum KITH's are usually done the same way. Each participant makes a knife, the organizer selects the participants at random, and each person sends a knife to someone, and in turn receives a knife from someone else. It's done in good fun, with no pressure (except the deadlines!). In many of the KITH's I've participated in there has been no restrictions on who can participate, and everyone has the understanding that you may receive a knife from a noob, or you might receive a high quality professional-looking piece from an experienced maker. Some other KITH's I've seen elsewhere have restricted participants to experienced makers only--it really depends on what the group or organizer wants. Some KITH's have had themes. Several years back on another knife forum the neotribal theme was to make a knife out of only recycled materials--no new stock.

Nathan

Thanks Nathan,
SOUNDS LIKE A LOT OF FUN!

Cheers!

www.rhinoknives.com/

Cool! I'm glad to see some first timers showing interest. Even if you decide the NT thing isn't for you at the end of it at least you gave it an honest shot. I like some time in June- July for a deadline, that should give everyone plenty of time to get their work done.

What requirements would this knife have to meet to participate in this. Sounds interesting to me. Rustic is right up my alley. Or maybe its crude. Can't remember.

Cool! I'm glad to see some first timers showing interest. Even if you decide the NT thing isn't for you at the end of it at least you gave it an honest shot. I like some time in June- July for a deadline, that should give everyone plenty of time to get their work done.

That time frame works for me. I'm in.

What requirements would this knife have to meet to participate in this. Sounds interesting to me. Rustic is right up my alley. Or maybe its crude. Can't remember.

That's a good question, what are the requirements for this KITH?
Recycled/found materials?
Power tools?
All organic?

Hmmmm?
I am a Stock removal maker that uses Stainless only these days, I started in my garage two blocks from the ocean and after the first year or so watching stuff rust as I worked on it I decided that it was
Stainless Steels only for this maker.

I do have some Rusty 440C/ ATS-34 that got the crud after sitting in my garage for a few years!
I've been holding on to it because I;am too cheap to throw it out!!
Will that be Neo-tribal enough for you guys??
I am in a nice Shop/Store now that's about 4 blocks from the beach.

Please advise?

Cheers.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

well heck, every time I make a knife I tell myself I am going to stick to neotribal ethic/ideas. Then, I find myself deciding that I want to polish the thing to really show a hamon or shangxue or whatever the chinese equiv is (can't spell it). So, I break out the belt grinder for awhile, then go back to hand work.

maybe if I make one smaller than a freakin' sword for once...

I am down, or in, or up for it, or whatever... if I can't make the deadline with a new piece then I will put in the Chinese Pirate one from before. However, I seriously plan to make a new one. Design is half the fun, after all...
kc

While there have been a lot of primitive looking blades that have been made through NT methods, I don't think that it's a requirement. My take on neotribalism is that it's not about what the knife looks like in the end--heck, it's not even about the product. It's about the process. Tai said that he moved in that direction to fight burn out. At the same time I think for many it's a visceral reaction against the "you must own a fancy grinder, dozens of grits of belts, and the newest super-steel to make a knife" mentality.

You strip down the materials to the bare essentials, and along the way you strip down your methods as well.

To Laurence--this isn't my KITH, but in my opinion, go for it. Part of the neotribal mentality is to work with what you got!

Back