The "Green Canyon" bowie...

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
Maybe camp/wilderness knife is a better word for it as it’s not quite as big as most bowies.

This knife is made to be a camp/wilderness knife and this one was not for an order or show from the beginning. I made this one for me to keep.

I don’t usually name my knives but this one was inspired by a particular place. It’s named for Green Canyon lake and the small Green Canyon creek that flows from it. It’s one of our favorite local camping spots. The lake sits high in the Anaconda Range of the Rockies. It’s very remote, and very difficult to find. There are no roads or trails into it, not even an old foot trail. So it doesn’t get many visitors at all. That is evident by the nearly two foot long cutthroat trout that live in the lake.

It was on one of our many weekend visits there last summer that I decided to make this knife. I wanted a little bit bigger knife than what I usually carry for these kinds of trips but still small enough to still want to pack it in. And I wanted something that was very tough and would hold a good edge.

Let me add a bit about the sheath. This was my first attempt at making a sheath with a frog and a button stud. I think it turned out pretty good and everything fits nice though Paul Long I am not. :) The sheath itself actually has a loop stitched on the back so you could carry it on your belt without the frog. I borrowed the idea for the loop from one of my revolver holsters that has three slots in it. You use the left and middle slot for right side (strong side) carry or use the left and right slots for left side (weak side) cross draw, or use the loop to lash to your gear if you want. It’s pretty versatile for carry.

So here it is.

Forged from 1080+ steel (which I think should be named something else as it’s quite a bit superior to 1080, IMO)
Just a shade under 12” overall, 6 ¾” tip to guard, 6 1/8” sharp
.210” at the ricasso with a really nice full distal taper
Rounded spine and ricasso edge
False edge, not sharp
Bronze guard and spacer
Coin-edged and blued steel collar
African Blackwood handle with carved and textured panel
Blued steel finial nut (made using John White’s machining methods in the “Old Glory” thread, Thanks John! :) )

Excuse the lint and a couple oil smudges.

GrCyn1.jpg

GrCyn2.jpg

GrCyn3.jpg

GrCyn4.jpg

GrCyn5.jpg

GrCyn6.jpg

GrCyn7.jpg

I threw in this pic of the lake where the idea of this knife was born

GrCyn8.jpg

Beautiful knife. The stippled handle area looks grippy.

Back