Does this look legitimate? ? ?

rhinoknives

Hi,
I didn't serve, 4F for flat feet! and badly!
Any way I like to support our Men & Women when I can, I have shipped stuff to a base in Iraq a couple of years ago and I just received this email at at my Cutlery store email.

It looks good to me? What do you guys that have or are serving now think?
I would like to send them a knife.

is the address good?
What say you, Knife Dogs?

Laurence

www.westsidesharpening.com/

Bill,
It didn't transfer the first time, Here is the email I received from a SGT in Afghanistan

UNCLASSIFIED

Sirs, My name is SFC Harold Compton, I am the platoon sergeant for a
small detachment stationed at a small FOB in Afghanistan. My unit is
hosting a NCAA Tournament party for ourselves and the US CAV units that
we support here in Afghanistan. Also invited are all DOD contractors
and DA civilians. We will be sending an invitation to all of the
coalition units that are represented here. Currently there are 14 other
countries that are represented.
Our intention is to have a basketball pool for the tournament. No fee
will be required from those who participate as gambling in not permitted
and there will be officer along with lower enlisted present.
We would like to give out 20 prizes, 2 during commercials (as we cannot
view the commercials on AFN), 1 at the end of each quarter and 2 during
half time. No one will be permitted to win more than 1 prize as to
ensure that at least 20 people receive a prize. My command and I that
are hosting will be exempt from receiving a prize to ensure the
appearance of propriety.
We are seeking donations as our FOB has only a small PX with the bare
necessities.
We estimate that at least 250 people will be in attendance due to the
weather. Our hanger has the best heating system; we also have a
projector that we brought with us that will allow us to project the
games onto a 12x30 white conex that is inside.
Any help in this event will be greatly appreciated.
Respectfully,
Harold Compton SFC US Army/MSANG
Camp Marmal, Afghanistan

UNCLASSIFIED

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com/

I got stuck at Marmal in June '11 while FOB hopping and there is nothing "small" about it. It's a large, multi-national (which is mentioned) base in northern Afghanistan. The PX is run by the Germans and they were the only PX to carry automatic knives - they have a great knife selection there.

That information appears to be correct.

BC

Last edited:
I got one of these emails also to my knifemaker email address worded exactly the same. That doesn't make it less legitimate but it does make me wonder.

Well I am glad I asked you guys.
And thanks for your help! It sounds like they have a large PX, Not the little one he described.
I have seen some footage from those small forward bases and if they need some help I will cheerfully give!

A few years back a Gunny that came into the Gun store I was working at part time was telling me about life up in Camp Rhino in Iraq. This Sgt said he was rotating out but gave me the address when I asked for it!
I sent them a 12 canister box of Baby wipes, Crayons, and some stuffed animals, etc for the soldiers to give to the local kids.

The Sgt told me that those baby wipes were the only way to clean up sometimes.

So It sounds like I will pass on this request.

Thanks again.

Laurence

www.westsidesharpening.com

The Sargent emailed me that Hat's and T-shirts are popular prizes for the soldiers and of course knives when I asked him what he had in mind?

I did reply that I am curious why he said the PX was small and only had bare Necessities? When in the next email he said that he didn't know what kind of knives they had there?
I am waiting for a reply on that!
I may send a couple of my Rhino Custom Knives Ball caps and a production folder?

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Please chime in.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

It's sad that anyone would run a possible scam at our military's expense. It's sadder that you/we need to try and verify any request benefitting our military. Maybe ask for a verifiable military addy or telephone # to a superior officer for confirmation ? Can you/he confirm the addy given as a military base ?

Rudy

Rudy's idea sounds like a good one. Also, when my daughter was studying abroad, we used to communicate all the time using Skype. Unless things have changed, Skype to Skype calls are free. Skype to telephone calls were very reasonable as well. Then all you have to deal with is the time difference.

If it were me, I think I'd take a shot. One of your knives, a tee shirt or ball cap might end up being a prized possession. Besides, if they are stand up guys, you will likely get a nice thank you letter you can hang on your office/shop wall. Whatever you're comfortable with.

As for the shotgun approach, I've done several fundraisers for a couple of non-profits and sometimes you have to use that approach in order to come up with a meaningful prize inventory. I wouldn't be too put off by that aspect of the request.

Best of luck

Bob

Thanks for the suggestions. I have decided that it is a Afghan address, So some poor bas&65d soldier is stuck there, A Knife and a Ball cap or two won't put me out that bad if this raffle thing is a hoax?
He is there in the sand & rocks! lol.

Thanks everyone! Very much for your help and thoughts!

www.rhinoknives.com/

Back