Large quasi-Nessmuk

Stormcrow

I forged this out last week while contemplating and assessing what I needed to prioritize as far as working on projects. Kept my hands occupied and my mind calm and I got done what I needed. Made a little bit of money with it too, as it has sold.

bignessmuk.jpg

nessmuk01.jpg

Typical for me: 5160, forge finish, filed bevels, triple normalize, triple quench in veggie oil, triple temper. This is the first forged blade for me to use this particular type of cord wrap; the others using it were stock removal blades. There's a leather slab on either side under the wrap that runs the full length of the handle and it has a hole in it so that the cord wraps through the steel and the leather. Cotton two-strand Turk's head knot at the front, hemp cord for the rest of the wrap, sealed in shellac.

I forgot to take measurements, but it's a large blade. I'd say in the 7 inch range.

nessmuk2.jpg

Ummmm, pretty much my standard knife-making modus operandus, with the cross section being a long, skinny triangle from spine until right at the secondary bevel (the actual cutting edge). I'd say it's thin to cut well, not sure if it falls into "very thin" territory.

Hey Rustyboy, this one's spine is about how thick? 1/8", 3/16"? Your sheath for it looks good. Too bad you don't wear belts. You're gonna mark this one up and resell it, aren't ya?! :D

If you follow this link:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/downloads/pdf/woodcraft-and-camping.pdf

you can find the original picture and description of the knife used by Nessmuk on page 8. He goes into a little detail about the great importance of having a knife that is really thin for actual use in skinning, butchering, etc. He also requires that people use a hatchet for chopping and a knife for slicing, and never mix the two. Check it out. It is a fun book to read, if you never have. It shows how outdoor things were done during the transition from Native American era to Modern American era.

kc

i shant resell this, unless someone wants to pay $10000000000 for it :biggrin:

the spine is a touch over 1/8", and while the edge doesn't fall into nessmuk thinness, it did do all the slicing chores i put it through this weekend.

Stormcrow - I seriously apologize if the post I made with the link to Nessmuk's original book seemed anything other than just me being excited and wanting to share the history with you. I am not trying to tell you how to make anything, or what is, "right or wrong." I just love Nessmuk's book, and I try to share it with people. Your work is outstanding, and you make it with a great sense of style. I hope I wasn't misunderstood. A true, "Nessmuk" would need to be thin, but something inspired by it can, by definition, change from the original pattern in any way the artist desires.
I struggle with this when doing the daos - replicating a historic example versus making a modern sword based upon their techniques and designs.

thanks for showing us your work. It is top notch.
Kevin

Don't worry 'bout me, Kevin. I didn't take no 'fence at all. :)

After all, that's why I put "quasi-" in front of it. Lets me get away with stuff. :D

And thanks for linking to the book. It's on my list of books to read.

Back