Large quasi-Nessmuk

Stormcrow

I forged this out last week while contemplating and assessing what I needed to prioritize as far as working on projects. Kept my hands occupied and my mind calm and I got done what I needed. Made a little bit of money with it too, as it has sold.

bignessmuk.jpg

nessmuk01.jpg

Typical for me: 5160, forge finish, filed bevels, triple normalize, triple quench in veggie oil, triple temper. This is the first forged blade for me to use this particular type of cord wrap; the others using it were stock removal blades. There's a leather slab on either side under the wrap that runs the full length of the handle and it has a hole in it so that the cord wraps through the steel and the leather. Cotton two-strand Turk's head knot at the front, hemp cord for the rest of the wrap, sealed in shellac.

I forgot to take measurements, but it's a large blade. I'd say in the 7 inch range.

nessmuk2.jpg

That is probably my favorite one that I have seen from you yet. Great lines, no nonsense look. Very well done!

ps My compliments on the veggie oil quench.

Thanks, Bush Monkey! Great lines and no-nonsense is what I aim at. :D I could see this one with a straight clip and false edge going from the point back a bit past half of the blade, too, for a bit more of a fighter flair.

As for the veggie oil, it works very well with 5160 and isn't toxic. What's not to love. :D Gotta give credit to Tai Goo for directing me that way.

Until now, I thought my NessMonk (below) was utilitarian:s11798: You have raised the bar!

IMG_1490.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the compliment, Bush Monkey! I appreciate it. :) I like the Nessmonk. It's time for me to play around some with Micarta.

Back