Undermounted grinder motor

TooQuiet

I am considering buying a new grinder and am interested in undermounting the motor to save space. Can someone explain how it's done or point me in the right direction?

Thanks

It will probably depend on the configuration of the machine itself to some extent. I have seen them done with the motor bolted to a hinged mounting plate, so that the weight of the motor itself provides the tension on the drive belt.

One thing I can help you with on this is a fairly new product called Link Belt. It will allow you to make your own length of pulley belt. That and Hinging the motor as Justin mentioned will help you a lot.

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com/

You mount the motor on a board and hinge the board to the frame, Then set up the link belt a bit short so the weight of the motor gives you the belt tension. The hinge keeps it in line.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I've got mine motor mounted under the bench also.

I would've probably went with a hinge set-up like Uncle Billy's but at the time I didn't have a welder and didn't want to cobble something together.

-The grinder is bolted to the bench solid.
-There is a slot cut in the benchtop for the belt to pass through
-The bolt holes for the motor mount are slots cut in the benchtop also
-I just pushed the motor over as hard as I could then tightened the motor mounting bolts.

When I went this route I figured if I had trouble I could go to a hinged set-up later but it'll be 3 years in april and it's going strong so I haven't fooled with it.

One important consideration- I went Variable speed with a VFD so my mount works fine for my configuration. If you intend to use step pulleys to achieve variable speed you'll need the hinged setup to change speeds.

Here's a pic. The motor isn't mounted underneath the grinder itself it's mounted over to the left. I may have to go out and snap a pic to show the motor bolts. they're usually covered up by stuff laying on the bench
048.jpg

take care, Josh

This is how I did mine... from back when it was still shiny and new.
[YOUTUBE]wf4grrMjbxk[/YOUTUBE]

Erin

here are are more photos that you asked for. i was getting a little bounce so i added the brace in the front.

Attachments

• DSC01335.jpg
    DSC01335.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC01336.jpg
    DSC01336.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC01337.jpg
    DSC01337.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC01338.jpg
    DSC01338.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC01340.jpg
    DSC01340.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 13
Here is my under mount on mine! This is before I cut through the table of the cart my grinder sits on I was checking it out for positioning before mounting my grinder and cutting the hole.
000_1182.jpg

Here is a shot of it mounted up.
Grindercart003.jpg

And here is shot of the mount itself.
Grindercart008.jpg

The motor has such a kick when the starting capasitor kicks in that I added a spring to help with that. The weight of the motor is what holds the link belt tight. The link belt can be adjusted by removing or adding links! The handle you see is too make it easier to handle the weight of the motor when changing the belt. The little chain is in case the motor gets away from me it can't go crashing backward as the chain only allows for a limited range of movement!
Here are a few more pics of the set-up.
GrinderCart009.jpg

GrinderCart010.jpg

GrinderCart011.jpg

GrinderCart012.jpg

C Craft, I love your set up! You have to post more pictures of the grinder attachments. Its all very inventive, Kudos.

Back