Need a Grinding Wet 101

Loosvelt

Hey guys, very new to knifemaking. Long story short, I have a basement shop and am uber paranoid about creating to much uncontrolled dust in the house (I picked the wrong hobby, eh!) Currently I use files, handsand wet, and plan to handsand and file wet handle materials when I get to that part (just working on getting good at bevels and profiling now. I also employ a shop vac with a HEPA for cleanup and run a 20 x 20 box fans with a cheap house filter and expensive house near-hepa filter to clean air. I make one knife a time and doubt I will get up past 30 knives a year even when I get in the groove.

I have a 2 x 42 craftsman, and really want to set it up to grind wet. I believe the 2 x 42 has some pluses and minuses to do this (I also don't mind investing in a a decent misting setup because it will be able to be moved to a real 2 x 72 when I get a bigger house and real grinder). That said the biggest drawback to the 2 x 42 (for wet grinding and knife grinding and in general) is speed. It is freaking fast and it spins any liquid off the belt before you can put a spray bottle down. Hence the need for a misting system. Something like a portamist http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2966 might be perfect. On the plus side, the craftsman http://community.craftsman.com/Craftsman-2-x-42-in-Belt-6-in-Disc-Sander-review-16b3 has a side cover, and the top is also covered. In theory this should keep the water from being flung around the shop too much like a 3 wheeled open system would. Excess liquid should just collect inside the covers and drip down into the bucket/trap system below the drive wheel.

Ok here come the questions;

1) am I crazy to try this, and am just wasting $100?

2) Am I overly optimistic that is not going to be a total mess anyway? But will it be safer?

3) Would this just destroy the 2 x 42 quick?

4) If it wouldn't destroy the 2 x 42 what should be used to cut the water to inhibit rust?

5) Any other advice is always welcome.

Thanks, Nate

P.S. Plan B, is to just buy stock in Gorbet files and peddle the "Handmade" angle to the massess.. haha Wait, I use a drill press, darn.......there goes that idea.

Yes your nuts, There are those that grind wet. Not many but there out there. You would of course need to use sanding belts that could handle it of course,
You are definitely heading into territory that not many have ventured.
Personally I built a grinding room to contain the dust from the rest of the shop, I intend to get a vacuum system but not ventured that far yet in my quest for the perfect shop.
Goodluck
CW

WHY? If you think that a wet grind with a mist is going to solve your dust problems I have just one thing to say! I DON"T THINK SO!! If you truly want to wet grind look at Lapidary Equipment, It's expensive!

If I remember the motor on a Sears 2 x 42" it is not a sealed motor and you will hopefully burn it out before you electrocute yourself! You need what is call a Washdown motor.a 56C TEFC That's total enclosed, Fan Cooled.

If you are worried about dust? Take up Pool or Golf or any other hobby besides Knifemaking!
If you still want to make knives! Wear a Respirator.

Cheers!
Laurence
www.westsidesharpening.com/
www.rhinoknives.com/

Nate, hopefully you're not discouraged from knife making by now. By no means am I an expert or seasoned veteran but it seems to me that the best solution for you would be to build a grinding room as close to air tight as possible. You can also attach an Air Cleaner to the outside of the room to help collect the smaller particles of dust. Check out the DIY link for help in building one.

http://www.fountainclan.com/wood/Air Cleaner.html

Regards,
Mike

Hi Nate!

I'm one who has tried in the past to "wet" grind, with a variety of different "wetting" methods. My opinion is that it's just not worth it. It creates the biggest mess you've ever seen, seriously reduces equipment life, and creates a serious shock hazard (learned that one the HARD way). :)

Get yourself a GOOD quality respirator (NOT one of the el-cheapo Home Depot ones), and if you feel it necessary, some type of a filter system for your shop (dust collectors are NOT a good idea when it comes to grinding things like steel, Ti, etc)

It makes sense to hand-sand wet but most grinders are not well set up for wet grinding and the belts move too fast. Mostly what you would end up doing is spraying water all over yourself and your shop. Once the water dries, the dust will still be there but will be harder to clean up. Not to mention the dangers of combining water and electricity.
An enclosed grinding area makes a lot more sense IMO.

Thanks for the answers guys. I guess in my dispair I was just reaching for straws.

I really am enjoying this and don't want to stop.

I do not have room to build a grinder room. Sad thing is my small basement shop is opposite of the same room that is my laundry room, compounding my problems. My entire work area is probably 8' by 10'.

I am probably just going to double down in my hand tool purchases and move the 2 x 42 outside. I am actually getting pretty quick at filing bevels with a filing jig I designed. I mean you really can do almost anything with hand tools it just takes time and skill.

I'll use my HEPA shop vac to clean after every day.

I might try using the 2 x 42 inside for profiling and intial bevels with the low grits only. Maybe at 60 grit or so most of the particles will just drop into the water bucket.

Ed, I always wear a good respirator when grinding anything and even when I will file/handsand file g10.

P.S. I hate golf

Would building a tool shed in a back yard be an option? A buddy of mine makes knives out of what can't be more than an 8x10 shed or so, and even that is still cluttered with bicycles, a push mower, and several other things... haha

Thanks for the answers guys. I guess in my dispair I was just reaching for straws.

I really am enjoying this and don't want to stop.

I do not have room to build a grinder room. Sad thing is my small basement shop is opposite of the same room that is my laundry room, compounding my problems. My entire work area is probably 8' by 10'.

I am probably just going to double down in my hand tool purchases and move the 2 x 42 outside. I am actually getting pretty quick at filing bevels with a filing jig I designed. I mean you really can do almost anything with hand tools it just takes time and skill.

I'll use my HEPA shop vac to clean after every day.

I might try using the 2 x 42 inside for profiling and intial bevels with the low grits only. Maybe at 60 grit or so most of the particles will just drop into the water bucket.

Ed, I always wear a good respirator when grinding anything and even when I will file/handsand file g10.

P.S. I hate golf

I hate Golf too! Was just joking about that one! There is a European maker, Anzo or Anjo, Anso?? Any way! He has always just used files for knife making and makes cool little kinves. He's first name is Jen I think?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

My shop is in the basement! Am I nuts?? lol..There are windows in my basement,,I open them up,,winter/summer! I use a tarp to cover the entrance! from the laundry.I have a shop vac,that i use,,its on if Im grinding,,cutting! I change the furnace filter every 1st of the month! Been five years now,,no problems!!! ????? But Im single!!! lol..If you have a family,,kids!! dont know!!! Its probably not worth the chance!

I live in a town house so I don't have very many options. My shed is 4 x 8, and I don't have room for a bigger one. The only window in my basement is on the finished half. It is what it I guess. Like I said, ill just use a lot of hand tools until I move someday. It will be a good foundation. I just wish nice files weren't so darn expensive. I could probably buy a coote grinder for how much all my files will cost when I'm done.

Back