glass platen questions

Cameron Wilcox

I am looking into buying a ceramic glass platen for flat grinding but the standard platen for my old craftsman 2X42 is 5" tall compared to the 6" platen liner knowing that it is glass I question the safety of having that overhang. should I just find someone locally who can make a new platen or would this overhang not matter?
thanks for any responses.
I plan on buying it from Tracy when I do buy it
-Cameron

IMHO a ceramic platen absolutely requires a solid and flat steel platen behind it - all of it. If your craftsman is like mine was, it is anything but solid. I would have a new steel platen (6"?) made up for the purpose of rigid support and while you're at it perhaps a lip at the bottom to support the ceramic liner.

You really don't want the ceramic liner to fail, especially on a high speed machine like yours.

Rob!

Yep Knifemaker is spot on, I personally cut my ceramic liner down with a diamond wet tilesaw. It cut pretty well, I also drilled and tapped a small 6-32 screw and screwed it all the way in at the bottom of my steel flat platten. The head of the 6-32 secured the bottom of the glass liner from sliding down if the JB should fail.
Pretty unlikely though, I just recently tried to shatter the glass and break off the glass for a new platten. I was very very very surprised at how well the JB held the glass liner. I had to get my propane torch to heat the steel to get the JB to release the shattered glass. It just would not come off with out heat.

The glass liner of my Pro Cut machine overhangs the steels base by an 1 1/2 inches. It's at the top and has not been a problem.

Safety first of course, Fred

I have used the ceramic and just Glass Platen liners always just putting them on with a few drops of super glue.
I never have put one of those little strips steels at the bottom to give it a shelf to sit on.
I even have had good luck tapping of the Ceramic with a rubber mallet so that I can sometimes use the other side after cleaning off the glue residue.Never had a problem with it coming loose.

But I have a variable machine and your running balls out all the time you may want to go on the side of caution and get a proper platen with a steel piece on the bottom.

also of course always wear eye protection, a Respirator and I have a full hide large thick shop apron to protect the Family Jewels:biggrin: and leg arteries when running the grinder or any Power machines!

Laurence

www.westsidesharpening.com/
www.rhinoknives.com/

Back