Ipe

Wade Hougham

This blade is 5 3/8" from tip to bolster and was forged from a pin like in the pic.
The handle is Brazilian Ipe Wood with bronze and a red fiber spacer. Total length is 9 3/4".
Thanks for viewing.

Ipe is a hard wood that finishes very well with nothing added and it will last forever. The people that import it for use as construction material for decks,docks and the like guarantee it for 50 years witout any preservative .

It is often used on smi-trailers floor . I have some of it just never used it.

Nice knife

Very nice Wade, I like it. Bronze guard is real nice- I'd like to find a bronze flat bar supplier. Most suppliers don't carry bronze flat bar only round stock.

Thanks for all of the comments.
I read somewhere that Ipe, pronounced ee pay, is what the Atlantic City board walk is made of.
Ausbrooks, I have a friend that gives it to me from left over blacksmithing jobs. Not sure of their source but if I can find any info I will let you know. Wade

Last edited:
Wade, this is a very nice looking knife. It seems a break from what you normally produce. Was this a custom order?

Nice knife!! Gotta build me one of those squishers!

I done a show at Atlantic City last year and fell into the history of the boardwalk. Although Ipe is still used to some extent for the heavy traffic areas, southern yellow pine has traditionally been used to rebuild it several times due to storms, Ipe is too controversial due to rainforest concerns. Interesting is the fact that in the late 1800's they took the boardwalk apart after Labor Day and stored it for the winter, all two miles of it!. I love the rolling chairs.
The boardwalk at Coney Island is Ipe, said to last longer than it takes the tree to grow.

Thanks Eric, Keith, KT and Randy.
Eric, This knife is a gift to the guy that gave me the excavator spring, the pins and 100' of 3/4" cable. He isn't expecting anything so it should be a nice surprise for him.
Randy, Thanks for the history lesson. I still have an eight inch piece of the Ipe and the story will be nice to tell potential buyers. :biggrin:
Wade

Wade that Looks good, I have some Ipe wood but never tried it yet. I tried to cut it on my band saw and the bans saw did not cooperate.
I will have to get one of my table saw friends to cut it for me.

JAG Knives

Ipe is some of the toughist wood I've used. looks great when finished. good looking knife. Great idea to always give back to those who give and don't expect anything in return.

Back