I got a heat treating foil question?

A.W.Stovall

I had previously been using the anti scale paste, But I thought I would give the foil a try evidently I didnt get it sealed good b/c I still got scale
I guess my question is what is the proper method to wrap a blade in the foil wrap? When I used to send my blades out for heat treat they came back just slightly discolored, Oh yeah I use 440c, ats 34, 154cm
Thanks Anthony

Put it in a foil packet. Double roll the seams. Tap them down tight with a hammer. Good to go. Some folks advise some wd 40 or a scrap of paper in the packet. Never tried that, never felt like I needed to.

Wrap the blade in paper towel prior to wrapping in foil.

The paper towel forms a carbon barrier ~ no scale problems whatsoever.

BC

I have been heat treating for over 25 years. I have not only heat treated my own knives with great success but I have done heat treating for machine shops here. I say this for the millionth time, you do not need to put anything in your foil wrap to burn off oxygen, to use up air, etc, etc. If you are having problems with your blades sticking to your foil wrap, then your are heating the blade too hot for the foil you are using. Double fold your bag edges and use a roller to make the fold flat and roll each fold separately. It is also ok to cool the blade with steel plates and leave the blade in the bag to quench. My blades have turned out like the picture I have posted for years. The following is the way the bag works. As the temp in the furnace rises, the bag gets hot quicker than the blade. This temp rise on the bag forces what little air is in the bag out of the bag. Go to some of the sites on heat treating and you will understand how it works.

Attachments

• DSC01410.jpg
    DSC01410.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 46
Thanks Guy's I forgot to get back looking back it was probably a stupid question when I doulble folded the edges I got no scale at all.
Anthony

Back