Titanium question

Godspeed

Could someone tell me why Titanium doesn't make a good blade/tool?
Is it the lack of hardenability?

Titanium is very light and very tough. It is not very hard and doesn't hold an edge well. In some applications like anti-magnectic - or saltwater, it has some use, but not if decent edge is required.

Titanium is very light and very tough. It is not very hard and doesn't hold an edge well. In some applications like anti-magnectic - or saltwater, it has some use, but not if decent edge is required.
This pretty much sums it up but I would like to add that you can get are decently performing knife out of titanium if you cabidize one side of the edge. I can't testify as to how well it works because I have never used one but I have heard good things about them.
if you are planning to do this Bossdog does carbidize blades, earlier he was offering to carbidize 2 blades free if you pay return shipping for a while you could ask if he is still doing that. If not his prices to do it are very reasonable anyway.
-Cameron

I think titanium only get to about 44-46 on the Rockwell C scale. Not to good for knives. However George Lambert of Titan Knife Technologies makes some titanium fillet knives with the edge treated with the Rocklin Roclizer that perform out of this world. It impregnates tungsten carbide into the titanium on one side of the edge.

I had him treat a $4 dollar cheap knife and a cheap Gerber knife for me. The $4 knife with about 3 1/2" blade got 200 cuts on 3/4 hemp rope. This is a different type edge than most folks are used to. It will not shave arm hair, but will cut anything very well that you would expect a pocketknife to cut. I do not know how many cuts the Gerber will get because it is a paraframe handle and my hand started hurting before it went dull. Resharpening is also very easy. You only sharpen the untreated side, and you are back in business.

Back