Kilroy Was Here

Raymond Richard

Forum Owner & Moderator
I've had an idea for several weeks now for doing this sheath but didn't have a large enough sheath that I could make it work. As a kid I remember going into public restrooms mainly in old gas stations and seeing "Kilroy Was Here" and wasn't sure what it meant. I just thought this Kilroy fellow did a lot of traveling. Here an explanation about Kilroy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilroy_was_here As for the knife I forge the blade from 1" round L-6. The blade is 8 1/2". I also used a piece of stabilized koa for the handle along with iron fittings. Overall the knife is 14".

IMG_4093.JPG

IMG_4095.JPG

IMG_4096.JPG

IMG_4097.JPG

Love it! How in the world do you get the subject matter raised so high from the rest of the sheath?
P.S. I wish I had a nickle for everytime I drew Kilroy on the girls notebooks in highschool!
No one ever figured out who was doing it! :biggrin:

Very interesting techinque. I salute you for that "out of the box" thinking. What thickness leather do you use for the different layers?

Very interesting techinque. I salute you for that "out of the box" thinking. What thickness leather do you use for the different layers?

Doug, I have been using 1/8" leather for the inner sheath and 1/16" on the outside. When I add to the inner sheath for the design I use 1/8" or heavier in some cases. Say on this sheath the lettering it was done with 12 gauge copper wire.

Back