Couple of stickers

jonathan creason

Just finished up a couple more knives. The first one is 10" OAL, with a 5.5" blade. All the shaping work done with a hammer and file. Cholla handle and a rawhide over veggie tan sheath.

chollasticker.jpg

chollasheath.jpg

The next one is 10", with a 4.75" blade. Deer femur handle, with a rawhide "repair", and a poured pewter bolster. I was running low on leather, so I made a center seam sheath for this one.

bonesticker.jpg

bonesheath.jpg

A nice duo! May I ask what "cholla" is? It is an interesting handle choice. I have a box full of deer bone I might have to put to use. Thanks for sharing Jonathan.

Many thanks. Cholla is a cactus. From what I'm told when it dies off the pithy center rots out, leaving a shell with the wavy pattern. I filled it with putty epoxy until it squeezed out of the holes then sanded the whole works.

A nice duo! May I ask what "cholla" is? It is an interesting handle choice. I have a box full of deer bone I might have to put to use. Thanks for sharing Jonathan.

Nice set of Blades you have there!
Cholla "Choi Ya" Is a Cactus That grows in the Southwest Sonoran Desert. They can get quite tall, Seen them about 10-15ft in Mexico and Arizona. You see the dried skeletons of the branches laying around until they get gathered for fire wood or for knife handles and other crafts.

Their are several kinds of animals that make homes in the Cholla Alive and dead. Beautiful Plant.

Laurence

www.westsidesharpening.com.

Back