Wintertime Short Day Blues Pipe and Bag

Church & Son

pipe1.jpg

I've always been fascinated with "Peace Pipes" and their bags. Looked at hundreds of pics but hadn't made one.
I had a real ugly piece of gray leather that came in a trade. I kept looking at it trying to figger out something to do with this thing. So one day I was smoking another hide and thought of it. I stitched it up and smoked it. Then soaked it in walnut homebrew still trying to cover up the gray. Now I had a piece of black/gray/brown/smoked leather so I made a pipe bag out of it. Then made a pipe to go in it.
The pipe is 19″ long and the bag is 28" long with the fringe. The pipe bowl is antler as well as the tip. A stick of bamboo is the center and it’s covered with rawhide and brain-tanned scraps, some beading and handrolled tin cones.

pipe3.jpg

pipe5.jpg

The bag is beaded with no particular pattern, just sitting here at night beading whatever come to mind.
I have a lot of time in them but it’s better than watching TV.
It smokes pretty good, a little cooler than my corncobs…

Great creativity, Randy. What a fun looking project I'll bet you had a blast making the bag and pipe. Hmmm I guess that it really is a bagpipe.:p
Wade

Thanks Gentlemen...
Wade, I'll blow it up and see what kind of noise it makes..
It's got to sound better than my banjo playing....

I hope it's not dueling banjos your playing:lol:. Wade

Watch what you wish for, that just may happen yet.....

Cool project. I do not have any idea how you work with those small beads, I think chasing those things around would drive me crazy.

How does burned antler smell? :biggrin:

Why did I know Randy was a banjo player? :p I love the pipe. You don't get any off taste from the antler? I know they tend to stink a little when burned.

Wade, "Dueling Banjo's" and the "Balled of Jed Clampett" makes up my entire song list.
They were inbred from the Appalachians, all the rest takes talent!!

Thanks Grafton...Beading is easy with 3x reading glasses!! Take those off and it's just colors..
The antler didn't stink any worse than my corncobs the first bowl, I was waiting for it but it done well. After a couple it builds up a cake of ash and the bowl doesn't get hot. And the long stem provides a cool smoke. I sound like a commercial..."C&S Antler Pipes--Buy one for the old fart in your family"

Why did I know Randy was a banjo player?
Not really a player, more like a noise maker, but thanks the the thought Troy. Grafton has talent, I have evidence. We'll get together and do a video " Grafton plays banjo while Randy provides background noise"...

Thanks Jonathon
Troy,we get bagpipes, banjos, anvil for a beat and VooDoo to join in with that bluesey guitar sound we'll
have enough noise to scare away those pesky politicians....or we'll smoke the pipe and not care

Back