my knife making story

leafspring

Hi all, i'd like to share my knife making story...
forgive my poor English and pics.
Being a while as a silent reader in this forum and dreaming to have a good knife, I finally made a step to make it on my own.
I found the tutorials in this forum are very useful ad yet helpful.

One day my boss came with a new set of files and told me to scrap the old ones. It just sparked my desire to make knife from old file also to overcome the boredom of a long shift in remote drilling camp in Arab desert.
I started to put together my imaginations from pics i saw here, and came out to make a 4.5" clip point.
File was annealed by a fellow welder with cutting torch. Cut and rough shaped with bench grinder.
File the bevel as a flat ground
Plan.JPG

Done filing and scratch removal with 180 grid sand paper, I came back to the welder to harden. It was partially hardened and quenched in motor oil.
HT result.JPG

I was lucky to find a brass, Al plate and piece of oak in welder's shop. Must be useful for handle. I put the together with epoxy glue and a 1/8" brass pin.
handleon.JPG
Then work on the handle with half round file and sand paper.
Handle1.jpg Handle2.jpg Handle3.jpg

I was tempted to put a force patina on it. i used Henna after seeing an oxidized spoon used by a friend to prep it.
henna etch.JPG oxidized.JPG

Last thing i removed the oxidation with metal polish paste. I was surprised a crisp temper line just appeared on the blade.
Blade2.JPG blade.JPG

It was sort of orgasm to me seeing this knife done:biggrin:

Please feel free to criticize.. since my skill is still million miles away from yours.

Amazing what happens when you're bored, and with minimal tools.
Nice job and it looks like you've done it before.

Rudy

Hey that look great. There is a certain satisfaction to doing it all by hand. Plus it really helps to nail down the basics! . I like how you left the Nicholson Logo on the ricassio! Also you did a great job on shaping of the handle. Most that are just getting started tend to leave the handle very blocky. Keep up the great work! :35:

Very nice, good job. Your handle work is very good for someone just starting out. Most new makers struggle with that.

Great start with minimal tools. I agree that your handle shaping is unusually good for a beginner.
You've clearly been paying attention in your reading :)

I'd say this is a very nice knife even if it werent your first. Your attention to the finer details is evident. Good job!

Are you sure that this was the first knife you and your welder friend have made together?
You two work well together! And as others have said, You have crafted a excellent handle!
If you stay here things will only get better!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Gents,
Thanks for the compliment....
sorry for my comment above. somebody at the office must have written that ( i forgot to sign out)

It is not my first knife ever. It is my third in 4 months.
here are the first two
IMG-20110630-00001.jpg puuko.JPG

They are kept by my welder friend since i'm not satisfied with the balance, off-centered edge, edge retention.
But I learnt a lot from them. say, like fell down many times before i can ride my bike :p.

I really want to embark to more serious materials and processes, not as a scavenger like now.
ie: brass bolster is from junked padlock, white spacer is from my old insurance card, pins are from welding electrodes
but good things are hard to come by in this part of the world.

Last edited:
Back