Help with stone progression for sharpening Straight edge razors

rhinoknives

Hello,

A customer just dropped off two Dovo Brand Straight edges for sharpening.

Does someone have any experience in sharpening straight edge's I need to know what stone grit to start with and when to finish and strop?

I understand that the spine sets the angle, Correct? Then what stone's to use?

Thank you.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

It depends on the razor. If the it had the spine taped before, the angle will be off if you try to sharpen it without knowing how much tape was used. If its a typical razor, your starting point depends on how bad your edge is. I touch mine up regularly so I start around 3k, move onto 5k, then 8k, then 10k, followed by a very fine natural then move on to chromium, hard wool, diamond spray at .25 micron then strop on a HA strop, but everyone's method varies. Of course, I only use japanese water stones, Naniwa and Rikia , and sometimes a Chinese natural.

Having experience hand sharpening knives helps, but its a different beast. I'd say pass on this one and practice on a few cheap Chinese razors first, unless your customer is patient and won't hold you liable for damages. :biggrin:

Check out www.badgerandblade.com and www.shaveready.com

Last edited:
Hi Mike,
Yea I was thinking the same thing this morning that It will take a bit of practice and I don't want my practice to be on his face!:biggrin: He did say that he was in no rush! But I still feel a bit shaky about this!

I will give him a call and reconfirm his time line! I also have so many other knives to make etc..
I don't know if I can put aside that much time right now?

Thanks again.
Laurence

www.westsidesharpening.com/

Laurence Mike is right, I would never try to sharpen a razor for a customer until I had done 20 or 30 practice on my own first. A good dovo could set you back 2 or 3 hundred dollars if you ruin it and it is very easy. Make a razor ,or go buy a couple and practice. It takes 15 to 30 min to sharpen a razor and when I first was learning was taking me 3 hours and I never got them near as sharp as I do now. If you can pass the HHT on your first few razors ide be surprised. I have 20 or more diferent stones and 4 strops and a few paddle strops coates with cr ox and .50 .25 diamond paste . That stuff will make it scary sharp. The guys that sharpen razors for a living have litteraly thousands of dollars worth of stones strops and paste. Some strops cost as much as 400 dollars but you can make due with a 75 dollar strop and 4 or 5 stones and a pasted strop with cr ox . Kellyw

Laurence Mike is right, I would never try to sharpen a razor for a customer until I had done 20 or 30 practice on my own first. A good dovo could set you back 2 or 3 hundred dollars if you ruin it and it is very easy. Make a razor ,or go buy a couple and practice. It takes 15 to 30 min to sharpen a razor and when I first was learning was taking me 3 hours and I never got them near as sharp as I do now. If you can pass the HHT on your first few razors ide be surprised. I have 20 or more diferent stones and 4 strops and a few paddle strops coates with cr ox and .50 .25 diamond paste . That stuff will make it scary sharp. The guys that sharpen razors for a living have litteraly thousands of dollars worth of stones strops and paste. Some strops cost as much as 400 dollars but you can make due with a 75 dollar strop and 4 or 5 stones and a pasted strop with cr ox . Kellyw

Kelly,
Yeah I though about buying the correct stones, strops etc and then finding what worked for me would end up being quite a investment and I don't think I will get enough call for straight edge sharpening to make it cost effective for quite some time. I sent my Customers razors out to another in town sharpener that has been doing straights for many years and payed him.
I just charged my customer actual costs since he has purchased many of my knives and other knife sharpening etc.

No time to learn straight edges now, I have many orders to fill & not enough call for them.

Thank you Mike928, JKR & HellGap for your references and thought's on this issue.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back