LR-1 WIP, my first large size tactical knife

Lerch

Hi guys

Well after talking with a local police department Tac Team buddy of mine I got the idea to build a large tactical based knife. He wanted something he could mount vertically on his MOLLE gear system and use as a back up or last resort weapon. He wanted something fairly large so after a few drawings i made for him we settled on this design.

Its a large frame false edge tactical knife. OAL is 11.5" with a 6" blade and 5.5" handle. I used the basic handle design that i have used on my last few hunting knives, i have been very happy with the grip ability after stabbing a few pigs with them. The steel is CPMs-30V on this first knife, really just because i had some left over that i hadnt used yet.

i will include a pic of the progress so far, just cut out and ground out the blank, I love having the metal cutting bandsaw in the shop now!!! Im gonna name this design LR-1 (last resort 1)

thanks
steve

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Got to work on this one a little more tonight, I am actually making two slightly different knives of the same shape, one has 3/4" longer handle and i will see which feels better once they are finished. Anyway i got the primary grinds done tonight and the first knife is in the heat treat right now. She is 11.5" oal with if i remember right a 7" blade, convex ground with false edge, relieved tang. this is also going to be my first try with torx screws and standoffs so i will appreciate any prayers i can get :)

anyway here are some updated pics

DSC_0566.jpg

some of my first thumb serrations, yup i know the last two on the top are a little closer than the others and yes i am very mad about, just cant figure out what to do about it now but learn lol
DSC_0567.jpg

more to come soon, as always any comments are welcome

thanks
steve

Last edited:
Add a couple maybe three more serrations farther back but not as deep and space them progressively farther apart. It will make it appear as though the spacing is intentional.
Just a thought...

Looks good Steve! I would cut more jimping notches in the 3 wide spaces between, then widen all of the notches as needed to even out the gaps between. You would be surprised how even you can get them this way.

Well i went with Justin Kings idea for the thumb serrations, it worked well and i got the other knife worked up tonight, Here is a pic of the two next to each other. Both are heat treated and cryo treated

DSC_0571.jpg

more to come soon, comments and suggestions are always welcome

thanks
steve

Got a little more done tonight, got the handles worked up, drilled, ground and my first frustrating attempt at removable handles pretty much done. The torx screws i ordered werent the correct size so instead i found some stainless allen head screws that i like a lot and they worked pretty well. I had a amazingly frustrating time figuring out how to drill the holes and hollow out this and step drill that, it made me appreciate being able to sit down afterwards with a beer and reflect on how to do things differently next time :)

anyway here are some updated pics

here is the stonewashed finish, these were still a little wet and dirty
DSC_0597.jpg

here is the handle with weight reduced and standoffs
DSC_0598.jpg

Handles installed and profiled
DSC_0600.jpg

And this is where the knife sits as of now,
DSC_0608.jpg

I have to mess around with the handles screws tonight, one isnt fitting right but hopefully i can make it work and not have to trash the current handles, still got some learning to do as always

more to come tomorrow,

thanks
steve

Last edited:
For thumb serrations I use my band saw and mark them 1/8 apart and then the thickness of the band saw blade makes them right.
I use a caliper to mark how deep to cut them so as to cut them about the same depth.
It works great for me and Ruffin Johnson told me to do it this way and that was good enough for me, coming from him.
Hope this may help you in the future.

Percy

Back