Set my shop up finally

Rob Nelson

Since the last time I was on KD, I moved to VA. Its taken a little bit to get back in the groove, and get used to the cold ... I miss the Hawaii winters already :biggrin:

Here's the last piece of Aldos 1095 I had had HT'd before the movers came. It's in its last stages, but not quite there. I had the dickens of a time getting the holes on the scales right, and this is my first attempt with spacers. Also tried some jimping on the spine which you can't quite see in this pic.

sd001k.jpg

Long story short, this was going to be my knife, the first of my SheepDog designs, but my son came up to me and said he'd really like me to make him a full sized knife. So whaddya do? Of course, son! Anyway, I'm on an aircraft carrier now, and I'm heading out for a short underway so its going to have to sit for a while until I can finish it up.

Watch it Rob. I lived in that area for almost 35yrs and I can tell you one thing for sure. The vast majority of people in that area have absolutely no idea of how to drive in the snow and ice. They do pretty good when it's raining sideways but when the roads are slick they think that they have to drive faster to get out of the weather. Glad to hear that you made it ok to Hampton Roads and I hope you enjoy your tour on that big gray thing.

The knife looks good. If that is a hollow grind, you do a whole lot better on it than I can. Keeping the pin holes straight can be tricky. Center punching is a must and I thinking about getting some shorter bits so that there will be less of a tendancy for them to flex and wander when starting the holes.

Doug

Doug, its not a hollow grind, its a 7 degree Scandi - or double chisel, or whatever they call it - on 3/16" stock, finishing to a convex ... or will be when I'm done. :D
I think a drill press will make my life easier ... my wife says whatever I don't spend on my ships' account I can keep, so I may not eat for a few weeks so I can get a press!

Yeah, driving around here is not for the feint of heart. I live on base, 1/2 mile walk from the pier, but when we venture out into the area, we see at least 2 accidents a trip.

Drill presses can be handy. Make sure that the pillar is long enough to give clearance when drilling out a handle for a trough tang. That will put you in the range of a more expensive desk top model but a floor model could be handly too. I have also found keyless chucks more of a headache than keeping track of the key.

Whatever the grind, you did a good job on those bevels.

Doug

Back