First Knife WIP - need suggestions for fix

cpurser

Well, I'm knee-deep on my first knife, and I've hit my first big snags. I've ground the blade to within ~.020", which i pray isn't too thin for HT. It looks like my plunge cut went too deep, because I can't get it flush. I've also buggered up the ricasso. Any suggestions to save it?

knife_after_grind_800px.jpgknife_plunge1_800px.jpgknife_plunge2_800px.jpg

well I'm not sure how you can fix those problems but I would just sand the entire knife to an equal grit and chalk the rest up to a first try.
if that's the biggest problems you have ran into for your first knife then you are doing good.
what steel is the blade? stainless you can bring to almost finished before HT but carbon steel you must leave some extra steel for decarb.
so far it looks good, make sure you post a finished product.

Sorry, I meant to mention it's 1084.

I'm thinking that I would HT, then take that side down to flush on the grinder. I may lose some edge doing that. I would also sand and blend the ricasso.

I'm with Cameron on this. I think that any fix that you could try will only make things worse. You needed to go slower, like push the file once and look twice when you get things down that fine. Altenating sides with each stroke might help too. Go ahead and heat treat the blade and test it by cutting something like hemp rope or heavy cardboard to see how well it holds an edge. Then break the blade to check for fine grain which should look as course as about 800 grit sandpaper.

If it makes you feel any better, I wish my first knife only looked that bad. Chalk it up to experience, learn from it, and try again.

Doug

How firm are you on that exact blade shape? Looking at it, you've taken the edge down to the last possible, but you can alleviate the plunge issue by simply taking 1/16" from the edge. This won't change the overall look of the knife, or the functionality, but will give you a bit more meat to work with.

I would do two things:

One, file down the edge of the blade, including the ricasso/guard area, so that it's only a hair shallower than it now stands.

Two, sand the flat faces of the tang so that the plunge line comes down from the spine just a skosh.

Taking as much as 1/8" off of the edge (going from a 1" wide blade to a 7/8" wide blade) will give you just a bit more room to fudge with, and can save the overall look.

You're doing very well, don't give up hope!

Thanks everyone for the help. This forum is awesome.

VaughnT, that's what I was thinking of doing. Taking some off the edge will allow me to grind more to make it flush. I've spent so many hours on this thing, I sure would hate to abandon it!

I'll post progress when I'm able to work on it.

It won't hurt to try to fix the grind. If you're not able to, you're no worse off than you are now. Don't feel bad if in the end you just can't fix it. I would say the coming away with a usable knife on the first attempt is the exception rather than the rule. I finished my first knife just as a learning experience but I keep it hidden in a drawer. I also have a drawer full of blades the I just screwed up too much to finish which is something that we all have if we've been at this long. One of the things that you will have to learn is when you can save a blade and when you need to give up on it.

Doug

Thanks everyone for the help. This forum is awesome.

VaughnT, that's what I was thinking of doing. Taking some off the edge will allow me to grind more to make it flush. I've spent so many hours on this thing, I sure would hate to abandon it!

I'll post progress when I'm able to work on it.

CPURSER,
You are experiencing your very first "Design Change", it's not all that hard to get used to, once you realize that the learning curve in knifemaking is more of a 90 degree turn, just don't go 180 degrees, and you'll be fine, as long as you keep making them, you will get better and better. Mistakes are not always a bad thng, as long as you learn from it. And 1084 is the perfect steel to be using! Doug might have a small drawer of mistakes I've got a 5 gallon bucket almost full, I keep them for the day that I might run out of steel, AND as a reminder, of not only what not to do, but more so of how far I've come just because I refused to give up! I think it was Wayne Goddard that said, I won't quote it because I don't remember exactly how he put it, but it went something like this, No one is born with the natural talent to make knives, the difference between a successful knife maker and one who quits is the successful guy didn't quit. You will fail, and you will lose countless hours working on a blade that doesn't turn out quite like you wanted, like some already said, go slow and learn everything you possibly can! I promise if you stick with it, the feeling of finishing one that you are proud of is a feeling that can only be matched by making one that is better!!!! Keep on keeping on!!! Rex
BTW, that blade looks 10X's better than my first!!! Which if I included the failures, would actually have be my 2nd or 3rd. When you do get done with your 1st make sure you keep it, you'll be glad you did!

I had a similar problem on a knife I've been working on. Sadly I think I'm going to have to scrap mine... I don't think there's enough to work with at this point.
At this rate I'll be making one knife every six months...oh well. I'm learning and enjoying the process.

Droppoint, CPUSER,
I still consider myself a newb and I've been making now for over 2 years, I say that because there is so much to learn. One of the many reasons I love making knives. It's near impossible to get bored with it! We've all had to scrap blades that we have put an incredible amount of time in, it's just part of the process.

Here's a few tips to help that from happening as much, it doesn't help with the speed, but your success rate will increase BIG TIME! After I get done with my forging and grinding, I hand sand my blades to about 400 to 600, I use a stick of 1084 that is about 2 1/2 to 3 feet long X 1 1/2" wide X 1/4" thick, I use some double sided tape to attach a strip of leather that is about an 1/8" to a 1/4" over lapped on one side. With this I can keep my bevels, it allows me to apply a lot more pressure angling the steel to the bevel on the blade, and if I need a hard face to it, I just flip it over to the bare side. A tip we all got from Frank Niro, is to use some Mobile 1 synthetic oil when you're sanding, I cut my sand paper into about 1 1/2" wide strips (and wrap the paper around the steel), unless it's a wider blade then I may go up to about 2" wide, add a little oil to the blade, I try to get a good thin cover on the blade and anywhere else that will be seen. Now since I finished on the grinder at about 400, I will generally start out around 80 grit, yeah 80 grit, and work my way up through the grits. There are great makers out there that are rolling their eyes, thinking I'm crazy, which probably isn't far off the mark! From 80, I go 100, 180, 220, 320, 400, 600, now here is the even crazier part, from here I do my HT. Coming out of the temper I start over again at 80 grit, and then work my way up through the grits again, I NEVER take my blades back to the grinder, unless it is a situation that if I don't fix an error it will wasted anyway, then I will, but I'm extremely careful, use a high grit belt (depending on the error) and don't try to fix a lot of diffeent problems, if they are any. I try to avoid going back to the grinder if at all possible. Even if that means hand sanding for hours! I've been doing it like this since I had so many blades I wrecked when I first started, since then I may have may have messed up 2 or 3 and that's been over a 2 year time frame. My way is just one of thousands, it's what I got comfortable with, the only downside to it other than the huge amount of time and sand paper in it, is that if your not real careful you can wash out your grind lines, if you want to keep them, I flat grind, and take that line almost to the top of the blade so it's not as big of an issue for me. With the Mobile 1, you will be amazed at the finish at 50 grit, now that is one thing that will speed up the sanding process.

This is only my way, not the right way or the wrong way or the best way, it works for me, I know I will not realize a profit when I sell a knife, and right now that's fine. I'm paying my dues and still learning, take what you can use from my way of doing this process, and what you already know, and anything else you can pick up along the way. Ya'll find the best way for you if you all continue working at it. Knife maing isn't a get rich quick scheme, it take syears of working with steel and studying. It's a constant thing that is almost all consuming to learn everything that is needed to know about making knives is long process, get comfortable with that aspect and realize it takes time to gather all the information you'll need.

A couple of more things, pick 1 or 2 types of steel to work with, especially if your doing your own HT, learn eveything there is to know about these types of steel before you move on to another, I feel very strongly that 1084 should be one of them, but you all are the ones to decide that. Next, great sand paper will pay for itself, crappy stuff like what Harbor Freight has, will only serve to discourage you, I like,...no LOVE Rynowet Redline, it is the best stuff there is, and it doesn't cost that much more than the cheap stuff at Wal mart, plus it lasts so much longer than any of the others. I still have some of the higher grit sheets I originally bought on my first purchase 2 years ago! The higher grits don't take long and if you're as conservative as I am, it will last a long time, the lower grits will cut better and longer than any of paper I've used. You can order it from Tru Grit, and I think Super Grit may carry it. Another thing, if you do end up screwing up several blades, don't chunk it aside if you've made several mistakes in a row, go ahead and finish one of them out, on my first few it seemed like I was never going to get to the step of attaching the handle slabs on the blade, so after a while I decided to go ahead put some slabs on it and finish it out the best I could, it ended up being a great shop knife, you can also use it to test your HT if you're doing it yourself. Once you're done with the HT and tempering, break it and check out the grain structure. Next thing, if your havingtrouble grinding and getting that right, I highly recommend Fred Rowe's Bubble Jig, there will be several folks that say "NO, learn to grind without it", I say, "it's a tool that will help teach you to grind", I'm blind in my left eye and my depth perception is awful, The Bubble Jig has improved my griding skills 10 fold! I still use it to check my angles, but really don't have to have it, it has helped me remendously! It's not expensive and one of the best purchases I've ever made!

Enjoy the process, don't worry so much about making a lot of knives, as your skills increase so will your speed. I get lost in the hand sanding, and have actually had sanded a blade sharp! Like I said, take what you can use from my process and maybe some other guys will chime in and add their way to this, and then you all come up with your own way. Hope this helps, REX

Wow Rex, I really appreciate the very detailed post. I know that took a long time to write.

I've cut the edge back about 1/8" inch. The edge is at .040" now, but it is still thin at the plunge. I'm already figuring out how to make it a smaller knife. I'll post pics along the way.

-Chad

appreciate your detailed post as well. I didn't think about depth perception being an issue during grinding, but now that you mention it I can see where it might be. I have poor depth perception as well. I've had so many problems with the 4 x 36 grinder I have that I went back to hand filing the blade. But then I got impatient on this knife and attempted to clean things up with the grinder and went too far.

I'm in the drawing for a Bubble Jig. If I don't win (which would be rare. I rarely win anything) I'm going to buy one from Fred Rowe and use it at least until I get the NWG grinder built that I've just started on.

DropPoint, you probably have one of the worst sanders, to my experience, to use as a grinder. The platen just isn't made for it. I found that files and EDM stones weren't much slower. I did run into a post that showed a modification to one that does improve it. The gunsmith who did it attached a ceramic platen exactly the same width of the belts to the existing platen on the sander. That lets the ricasso overhang the edge of the belt while grinding. It won't make it a perfect machine by a long shot but it will correct one problem with them.

You could glue the platen down with something like JB Weld and reinforce the glue by screwing in a couple of machine screws into the existing platen so the the heads give the ceramic platen something to rest against.

Doug

appreciate your detailed post as well. I didn't think about depth perception being an issue during grinding, but now that you mention it I can see where it might be. I have poor depth perception as well. I've had so many problems with the 4 x 36 grinder I have that I went back to hand filing the blade. But then I got impatient on this knife and attempted to clean things up with the grinder and went too far.

I'm in the drawing for a Bubble Jig. If I don't win (which would be rare. I rarely win anything) I'm going to buy one from Fred Rowe and use it at least until I get the NWG grinder built that I've just started on.

Depth perception was a huge problem for me, mostly because I couldn't judge the angle or feel the way it was supposed to be no matter if I had it right or wrong. The only way I could tell if I had it right was to look at the grind after I had done it, if it was good, I still couldn't recreate the same angle no matter what I did. I will tell you there are a lot of jigs and gadgets out there, and I will admit I did buy one POS off fleaBay, it was a load of crap! I can also say that Fred's Jig is most definitley NOT! It is the most ingenius little jig, so uncomplicated, easy to figure out everything you want to do. NOW with that said, YOU still have to grind, that is the beauty of it, you will learn how to grind using it, most of the time I use it to set my grind, then take it off and finish free hand. I do go slow, and don't use a lot of pressure. Patience is very important in knife making, I've found that telling myself, "to hurry up and mess up!" I've had to start listening to my body more as well, when I feel that I forcing something, anything with my knifemaking, I need to either take a break or call it a night.

Drop Point, after you get your NWG built, keep using your Bubble Jig, it will only help you be more productive and it will pay for itself in the amount you would have lost in steel! The very best money I've spent on any aid in making knives! Funny thing, the POS I got off eBAy was more expensive than Fred's jig!!! Some folks have to live and learn, the smart folks learn from others mistakes!!! REX

DropPoint, you probably have one of the worst sanders, to my experience, to use as a grinder. The platen just isn't made for it. I found that files and EDM stones weren't much slower. I did run into a post that showed a modification to one that does improve it. The gunsmith who did it attached a ceramic platen exactly the same width of the belts to the existing platen on the sander. That lets the ricasso overhang the edge of the belt while grinding. It won't make it a perfect machine by a long shot but it will correct one problem with them.

You could glue the platen down with something like JB Weld and reinforce the glue by screwing in a couple of machine screws into the existing platen so the the heads give the ceramic platen something to rest against.

Doug

Yes this grinder has been nothing but a source of frustration. I use it for doing handles now and that's about it. When I have used it to grind knives with I don't use the platen at all. I've just free handed it which isn't any better. So I went back to files and was doing quite well until I got impatient and decided to 'improve' my filing with the grinder.

I'll try the modification to the platen that you've suggested.

Thanks

Yes this grinder has been nothing but a source of frustration. I use it for doing handles now and that's about it. When I have used it to grind knives with I don't use the platen at all. I've just free handed it which isn't any better. So I went back to files and was doing quite well until I got impatient and decided to 'improve' my filing with the grinder.

I'll try the modification to the platen that you've suggested.

Thanks
Correction...of course I use the platen. I confused platen with a rest. Either too much coffee or not enough.

Doug,

I spent some time today making the modification to my grinder you suggested. I didn't have any ceramic so I used a piece of mild steel screwed it down on the existing platen and ground the screw heads flat.
Works like a charm. It's 3/16" thick so I have enough room to do some maneuvering. Not a great grinder but definitely an improvement. I can already see better grinds with just a few tests.

Thanks for the idea !

I'm glad that it helped but I was just passing along something that someone else came up with. Hopefully that will see you through until you can get a real belt grinder that can take advantage of the new belts that are out there.

Doug

Back