Minimum needed tools for slipjoints

Brian.Evans

Well, part of my steel order from Aldo was some 3/32 A2. I'd like to take part in the madness that is slipjoint making. @I've been reading and reading and looking at pictures and various tutorials all over the Internet, but the more I read, the more questions I have.@

Today I bought an old Schrade Walden Grafting slip to take apart and use for a pattern. The blade is mostly shot, so there's no hope of restoring it. However, I can make a pretty close replica of this shadow pattern folder.@

So here's my question; what are the drill bits and assorted items I need to do this right.@
There looks to be 3/32" and 3/16" pins so I'm assuming a #43 bit and a 3/32" ream, and a #13 bit and a 3/16" ream would work? @What about a countersink to chamfer the holes so the peened ends have somewhere to sit? @Which one? @Anything else I absolutely must have? @I'm not planning on using a bushing, just for information.@

Can I use plain brass rod for the pins and pivot? @I've never actually seen anyone say. It sounds like such a dumb question typing it, but I guess I need to know.@

I'm just ready to learn the slipjoint art. It seems to combine my love of knives and mechanical stuff. @It also seems to satisfy my desire to have very difficult hobbies. Lol I figure by the time I've made 100 or so I might understand them a little. :)

Oh one other thing, the only experience I have peening is on straight razors and on those the rivet is rounded above the washer. On a knife is it just mushroomed out into the countersunk area then sanded flat? @I want to make sure I get all these niggling questions answered before I get going. Thanks to everyone for being so patient.

Back