Knife Making Vice

theWeatherman

Hey guys! I was hoping you guys could give me ideas on how to make a cheap cheap cheap...... knife making vice. I have seen one that was made out of 2 tubes and was welded but I don't have a welder. So I need something that I don't have to weld.

Pictures or plans would help. When I searched I didn't what I was looking for, but I could have searched the wrong terms.

Thanks!!!!!

Those are good ideas. I am thinking about the pipe ones that can rotate. I am unsure about the inside part "the clamp" and then how to attach it to a bench vice. I figure I can tap the holes.

Thanks for the suggestions.

It will be tough to make one without a welder. At least one that will work well and last. Until you can acquire the use of a welder, the cheapest option is a large "C" clamp and a chunk of 2x4.

Here are some pics of the knife vise I built, and have been using for years. Personally, I dislike most of the Knife Vises offered commercially....most only allow you to clamp the blade....I made mine with enough jaw gap to hold just about any knife, by the blade or the handle end(s). (jaws are lined with a hard rubber....leather stamping pad from Tandy)

KnifeVise1.jpg

KnifeVise2.jpg

KnifeVise3.jpg

KnifeViseJaw.jpg

@Ed - Does your knife vide rotate on the axis or does it just do horizontal or vertical.

@Archer Moon - That would be perfect if it rotated and didn't just do horizontal and vertical.

This is mine. Still a little welding i'm afraid, but should be cheap to get done. Scaffolding pipes and a scaffolding bracket. Fully rotatable.
2012-01-19185746.jpg

2012-01-19185806.jpg

Darren.

I use a 2 x 2 about 12" long made out of Oak. I attach the knife in whatever fashion I want with one or two wood clamps to the Oak. Then I put that in my bench vise. Total cost, including Harbor Freight Bench Vise, $45.00

Works like a charm.

Ed Caffrey, I like your design. That's quite versatile

Yep! The only parts of that vise that I actually had to go out and purchase were the acme threaded rod and nut, and the rubber pad that lines the jaws.....everything else I scrounged out of my "treasure pile" (some would say junk pile). It took about 2 hours to build...and about 3x that long for the paint to dry. :)

Heres is one of mine. Simple cheap and works well. :biggrin: Round pipe fits into a slightly larger square pipe. Square pipe is mounted to the bench. Round pipe spins inside square pipe. Rounded wood pieces hinged in the back and lined with leather scraps for clamping blade down goes inside the round pipe. Big eye bolts from the hardware store....

Downside....still gotta get your nuts welded :what!: onto the holes of the square pipe and round pipe....

knifevise.jpg

knifevise2.jpg

knifevise3.jpg

Heres is one of mine. Simple cheap and works well. :biggrin: Round pipe fits into a slightly larger square pipe. Square pipe is mounted to the bench. Round pipe spins inside square pipe. Rounded wood pieces hinged in the back and lined with leather scraps for clamping blade down goes inside the round pipe. Big eye bolts from the hardware store....

Downside....still gotta get your nuts welded :what!: onto the holes of the square pipe and round pipe....

knifevise.jpg

knifevise2.jpg

knifevise3.jpg

Very Cool

I have been using a small wood workers handscrew (the clamp uncle Fester used for his headaches) type clamp. I clamp one side in my vice.

Ric

Back