Possible way to straighten a blade

Lerch

Hi guys,

well i was trying my first "chef style" blade and after heat treating and tempering i noticed that it has just the slightest bow to it, a very small amount but now that i know it is there i cant help but notice it even though no one else can see it lol!!

my question was if i clamped it between two long pieces of flat bar stock with some C clamps and tightened it down hard, and then i tempered it again (400deg for 2 hrs) would that possibly straighten the bow??? and what would it do for the bar stock that is in the temper with it, i would still like to use that for blade steel??

thanks
steve

It might work or you might have to shim it with something to put a littl counter bend into the blade. I'd try it without first. As fas as what it would do the bar socks that you have it between, nothing unless it's been hardened. Just make sure that the bar stock that you're using is straight and doesn't flex when clamped.

Doug

Yep, What your thinking will work, will work most of the time.. :) And the times it does not, if you follow what Doug said and shim it to flex it past where you want it.. and temper again It should fix it.

Good luck. and have fun!
Randy

okay, thanks guys

Ya in you meteorite WIP is where i got the idea for the bar stock and clamps Randy, from your pics, i just wasnt sure about a blade that had already been tempered a few times, but i figured it wouldnt make much of a differance.

i will let ya know how it works

thanks
steve

I just sharpened a filet knife for someone last week.
It had an ever-so-slight bend two inches from the tip, and the lady asked me if there was a way to "fix it". She said it had been like that ever since she bought it.
Has 440C etched on the blade.

You think I should try this? If so, details on procedure?
I can be very creative on clamping methods, but still very new working with stainless (at least for blades).
Maybe clamped down at 300 for an hour?

Rob

Rob, Assuming its 440c I would say 500 for 2 hrs should do the trick. Im going off a heat treat chart, not first hand experience here. I just started working stainless steel. so most of my experience is with Damascus and carbon or tool steels. So there may be a better option.. But I know if you follow what I said. It cant hurt the blade :) Thats 4sure!

Well the blade is in the oven right now, i ended up placing a quarter on the opposing sides of the bend, one near the tip of the blade and one at what i judged as the apex of the bend. Originally i tempered the blade at 400deg so i decided to do this current heat cycle at 385deg so as to not soften the blade any more than i wanted. the blade is clamped between two pieces of 440c with a C-clamp in between the placement of the two quarters. im trying a 40minute soak time, will let ya know on the results

On the stainless steel i would check the temp, it has been a while since i did any 440c but i was thinking i was using 375deg for around 59rc, im not 100% sure though

thanks
steve

Back