Knife Makers Guild Members

Gahagan

How many makers do we have here that are members of the Knife Makers Guild? I am looking to join but need some signitures, but dont really know many people who are associated with the Guild. I need some people that are willing to help me with my quest to join as well as guid me through the process.

I'm a Probationary member. Hopefully I become a full voting member at the September show this year. Being a probee, I don't think I can sign for you, but this is what you need to do. You need to have Voting Members examine 4-5 of your knives. They will be very honest with you about what you need to work on to improve, and they will sign your membership application. Look on the Knifemaker's Guild website under Members and you might be able to find voting members close to you. Often, you can find several members at local knife shows. If this does not work, if you can make it to Atlanta in June to the Blade Show, there is a whole section of members of the Guild, so that would make it easy for you. After you complete the application, you will have to go the the Guild Show in Louisville, KY. There a committee will again evaluate several of your knives and offer suggestions. You maintain Probationary membership for two years, after that you again return to the Guild Show and go through the evaluation process for the third time. If you successfully pass, you are then a Voting Member of the Guild.

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions, let me know and if I don't know the answer, perhaps I can put you in contact with the right person. I know there are some other Guildmembers on here with more experience, perhaps they will show up and add their .02.

Kevin

I am a probationary member also. In September I will hopefully become a voting member also. In June, for the BLADE show, try to come to the show and bring at least 4 to 5 knives. Your best works. Find Gene Baskett's (director) table and ask him for an application to the guild. Show him your knives and show them to other members in the Guild section. If you want, come find me and I can bring you around to some of the members I know that will be honest and get you pointed in the right direction.

I am a guild member also, but also a probationary member. Really need to get off my ass and get a few nice knives together to get juried to become a voting member.
CW

Voting member here. The easiest way to get your signatures is to take your knives to a knife show like the Blade Show. I got all of my signatures the same day at the Blade Show in 2007 in June and had a table at the Guild Show in Orlando in July.

Back