The One brick forge?????

martinjj

I was wondering if any of you Knife Dogs have tried the One brick forge from Wayne Goddards $50 knife shop? Do you like it? It looks pretty simple and I like simple, plus it is small and can be put up while not in use. I was just wondering what you all thought of it.
Thanks, Martin

Yes, I've made one, also a coffee can forge and a two brick forge. I would recommend a two brick forge, however, for the larger fire chamber. You can hog out the grooves in the bricks with a half round wood rasp, use some high temperature morter to stick the two bricks together, and bind them with bailing wire. A spade bit, without the drill, will cut the hole to stick the tip of your torch into. If you coat the inside of the forge with morter, it will last a bit longer. After you've played with it for a while you'll probably want to go ahead and build a larger forge.

Doug

Doug I have seen the Paint can forge and I am kinds steering towards that, but I than think about how cheap the One brick is to make! Going brick hunting today.

Martin

The best place to find soft insulating bricks is a pottery supply house that deals with kilns if you have one locally. If not, High Temperature Tools and Refractory sells them by the brick.

Doug

... and get yourself more than a single brick while you are at it. At least in my damp climate the bricks fracture after a few uses. Bailing wire will hold 'em together. They work well for small/medium pieces. Great way to get started - - - and to have a portable setup to demo at some event (a portable /anvil/ is another question entirely).

If you use one, heat them up slowly. If you try to get up to temp quickly, they can crack because of the difference in temperature between the chamber and the outside of the brick. Yes, you can wire them together, but that is just a temporary fix.

I bought a couple when I first started, and they lasted me a while, but when I went to replace them I built a small forge chamber with some black stove pipe and refactory wool, then coated the inside. In my opinion, if you know you want to stick with this hobby, build the coffee can forge. While the initial cost is slightly higher, it will last you longer--at least that was my experience.

I went to a pottery supply house. As I was telling the clerk what I was making, he gave me a discount on a couple of bricks that has small chips or corners missing that he couldn't sell for kilns.

Ric

Back