A skinner for a friend

rcknives

attachment.php

Here is a skinner I made for a friend of mine to give to his brother for his birthday. The knife is made from D2 steel (my favorite) and its heat and cryo treated to 60 rc. The blade is 4" and the OAL is 8 7/8". The handle is stabilized mesquite burl. The blade is almost full hollow ground which is my first. Most of my hollow grinds are pretty shallow but decided to try and get further up on the blade to see how it would come out. I was very surprised at how it came out and took an edge. It is scary sharp. Anyway let me know what you guys think and where I can improve.

Thanks,
Robert

Attachments

• P1013847.jpg
    P1013847.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited by a moderator:
repost

sorry about the pic it looks a bit pixelated so here is a better pic of the knife.

Attachments

• P1013847.jpg
    P1013847.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 16
Looks great Robert- nice work for sure. On my hollow grinds I try not to exceed the max grind height for diameter wheel per the "grind height calculator" to avoid undercutting sides- not that you did- yours looks real nice and like the mesquite- I'm sure your friends brother will be thrilled.

thanks Ausbrooks the knife is about an 1 1/4" wide so i was using a 10" grinding wheel which is what i thought was enough to make the grind. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

I think it turned out good. I dont do hollow grinds, but I know there is a grind chart on this web site somewhere that will help you calculate the hight and wheel combo.
If I were doing hollow grinds (which I plan to in the future) I would hope mine turn out as nice as yours!

Blessings,
Eric

Robert here is the link for the grind height calculator I mentioned--http://bimjo.com/free/widget.html I tried to calculate this manually before I found the link....When I grind I like to know the exact height for wheel diameter and stock thickness, as a target reference. Just something to put in tool box if going to do a lot of hollow grinding...keep up the good work!

Overall knife looks really good. The hollow grind has a little wobble along the top of the grind. That is just a matter of paying closer attention to applied pressures on your blade as you grind. Your grind line is really crisp and that stands out really well. I like that!!!!! I like the handle shape but that sharp corner all the way around the handles edge will make for some uncomfortable usage. A little roll against a slack belt will take care of that real quick fast and in a hurry. That file work on the blade adds a really nice touch to the over all package. Keep up the good work!!!

Overall knife looks really good. The hollow grind has a little wobble along the top of the grind. That is just a matter of paying closer attention to applied pressures on your blade as you grind. Your grind line is really crisp and that stands out really well. I like that!!!!! I like the handle shape but that sharp corner all the way around the handles edge will make for some uncomfortable usage. A little roll against a slack belt will take care of that real quick fast and in a hurry. That file work on the blade adds a really nice touch to the over all package. Keep up the good work!!!

I appreciate the feedback and thanks for the advise Max.I'll give it a shot on the next one.

Again, looks great. As far as grind height calculation is concerned... Get a piece of paper, pencil and a compass. Draw two parallel lines equal to your stock thickness apart, set your compass to equal the radius of whatever wheel you are using and scribe an arc from one parallel line to the other just like your wheel will do on the actual blade. I like pictures and for me it works.

Back