Something a bit different, knapped 1084

jonathan creason

Just finished this one up for a Christmas trade on another forum. 1084 steel that I filed flake scars into to give it a knapped appearance. Cholla handle with a deer rawhide wrap and the butt cap is made out of a penny. Tang goes through the cholla and is peened. Sheath is deer rawhide over veggie tanned leather. Snake skin accent, with some antler, and horsehair tassels.

This was a fun knife to make, but in all honesty unless someone specifically asks for one I don't know that I'll be doing another any time soon. I had to leave the blade pretty thick in order to file the flake scars in, and there's just too much meat behind the edge to get it as sharp as I'd like.

necker2.jpg

necker1.jpg

As always, and comments, criticisms, or cuss words are welcome.

That's awesome Jonathan, if you didn't say 1084, I'd have sworn I was looking at rock. Nice sheath work also.

That is a cool package you have there.
I understand the problem with the meat behind the edge! Perhaps you can relieve the thickness for about 3/8" using a flex 220 grit slack belt on your Grinder and then drop down to a 400 Grit heavy backed belt for your edge.
I get a sweet Convex edge doing this.

I do that for people that bring in crappy Asian Culinary knives to be sharpened and it works like a charm!

Besides! It will just look like you did some Micro chipping on your Flint Steel!:biggrin:

Laurence
www.westsidesharpening.com/

Thats really a cool idea. I think you pulled it off.
The etirety of your knife/sheath combo looks terrific, and you got the flint effect right on the nose.
I like the aged and timeless look and you captured this very nicely!

Blessings,
Eric

Thank you guys very much! It was a fun project, and it's going to someone on the primitive archery board so I thought it would be a good fit.

I appreciate the advice, Rhino. If I try another one I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Wow, really fools the eye, love the effect. How about a*chainsaw* (knapped ) edge , if the edge is too thick?.. ..don't cut it...rip it! Beautiful work there.

Thanks again, guys. I considered going with a serrated edge, I know they're useful in several situations, but they also have limitations. I wanted it to be as useful as I could possibly make it.

I like just how it is made. Like Rhino said, try some alternative sharpening techniques for a better edge but for God sakes don't change your design. It is top IMHO.

Back