Bone Handled Fat Skinner

Church & Son

I made this neck sheath for something else, can’t remember but I sold, traded or gave
away the knife so the sheath laid in the drawer. I always thought a fat skinner neck knife
would be neat so I made one to fit the sheath.
Knife blade is 2″ deep x 3″ sharp, overall length is 7 1/2″, forged from a piece of plow tip
with my finger catcher choil thing beat in. Forged on charcoal, quenched in brine. Hot cut and
filed, no electwicity used.
Handle is a Deer bone the dog dragged up about a year ago. I stained the bone with
some reconstituted dried up shoe dye and poured the bolster/ side of the bone with lead free
fishing weights and part of a tin cup. The pewter goes all the way threw the bone.
The sheath is rawhide over boot leather with a braided neck strap and a few beads/ decorations.
Fringe from a leather nail bag. Usual finish of dirt,grease and shellac.
....It was a lot of fun making the knife to fit the sheath....

boneskin1.jpg

boneshin2.jpg

boneskin3.jpg

boneskin4.jpg

Another from the drawers of Randy.:p Unmistakeable look that only you can come up with. I have found it to be quite a challenge to make a knife to fit an already made sheath. Nice job!! Wade

I thought the title said "Bone headed fat skinner", and I clicked on it to find out where you got my picture from.

Fortunately you went with the bone handle and not the bone head.

The knife is interesting for sure. I never thought about a skinner like that, but it works.
It works really nice.
I also like the idea of re-using old stuff.
Great job!

Eric

Dam Churchy, that thing is beautiful. Really, really nice. Neat how you reinforced the bone. They can be brittle.

Looks like the lower leg bone (section just above fetlock joint). Every time I see that bone I am amazed at the form/function of the skeletal system.

I like fat skinners! Yours hits the spot! I salvaged a few leaf springs over the holidays and was wondering what to make....not anymore! Thanks for giving me another idea to "borrow." Troy

Thanks Troy, look at the ends of those leaf springs..looks like a no-weld 'hawk project, I was thinking about that yesterday when cleaning up some old springs...

Thanks Eric, I really like the fat skinner blade. It has a lot of edge for a short blade.

Another from the drawers of Randy
You sexy talking swamp devil..Thanks Brother Wade

Thanks Brother G, Goocie the Mastiff had it hanging out of a slobber fold one day.
Don't know what happened to the rest. He would eat it but too lazy to kill it. So it already had a tooth holes into the cavity. I had stuffed the cavity with pine pitch but when I poured metal around the tang pewter came out everywhere, so it's now solid.

Nice work. I really like the blade sweep - looks like a great skinner.

dang............. church that sure is pertty. you sure nailed it.
really enjoy (ponder) how you guys get that old time look and feel into your pieces, great job.

Back