Tapered Tang with no Wheel?

theWeatherman

I was wondering if you guys had a good idea on how to make a tapered tang without the contact wheel?

I really like the idea of a tapered tang but I don't have a contact wheel and I am not sure what would really happen to the scales when you taper the tang? I would have to get thicker scales to accommodate the thinner tang right?

I use the platen to taper the tang. But I do use the the wheel to grind out as much as possible to lessen the time spent on the platen, but the wheel isn't necessary. You could also drill out the excess. There is a good tutorial on how to taper a tang in this forum. I usually use 1/4 inch scales and there is plenty of "handle" to grind down. I start with 1/4" flat ground stock and taper the tang to 1/16", which is the scribed center line for the blade. The taper doesn't have to be perfect as long as you taper to the scribed center line. Exopy, liner material and scales cover imperfections pretty well.

I saw the tutorial and that gentleman used a wheel to get rid of the inside. I guess I need a little more explanation on why he used a wheel and why I could use a drill bit.

You are removing the inside of the tang by drilling or by running the tang horizontally on the contact wheel.
Both remove steel and decrease the time needed to Taper the Tang.

Just drill out the center of the tang and then start tapering as in the tutorial, You will see how it speeds up your progress tapering the tang.

The biggest part of learning to make knives is by DOING. You will find out what works for you and maybe a new way to make a knife.

There really is no wrong way to make a knife!
Read what you can and then get out there and burn your fingers and burn up some steel and you will start to get a feel for it! :biggrin:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I think what these guys are leaving out is that by taking the tang to the contact wheel first, you hollow out the center of your full tang. This leaves just the outer part of the tang higher than the center, reducing the amount of surface area to be ground away when you take the tang to the platen for the tapering. Drilling holes achieves the same thing.

If you have an angle grinder, you could tilt the wheel up so that the edge of the grinding wheel hollows out the center of the tang, if you don't have a contact wheel.

Back