154cm

seved

i Have some problems to decide, what stainlessteel to choose. Since Uddeholm stoped to roling AEB-L to thicker sizes, i have to use another steel. I thinking of 154CM but havent any experince of it, since it not so common over here. What do you guys think of it. There is ATS34 and 440C i thinking of.

Seved

I want 1/8 or 3,5 mm . Yes ATS34 is the same :) I have heard that ATS 34 isnt so good as it have been.

Seved

The extra knives I sent you are ATS-34. They are already heat treated so when you get one finished, you can decide for yourself. I like ATS-34. Years ago there was a problem with the material being cloudy when trying to mirror polish. I think all of that material is gone by now. Everything I have used in the last couple of years has been clean. When I make a stainless chef's knife, I like to use it.

Yes i saw that it was ATS 34 :) . I thought i should EDC the smaler one, so i could see how it works.
Yes maybe its that, years ago. When i think of it, i havent heard it for a while. My memory is realy bad. Do you know a good supplier for ATS.

Seved

Try Tracy first. If he doesn't have it, Admiral Steel will. I have a little if you don't need much.

Tracy dont have it on the webbsite, but i will ask him. Admiralsteel dont ship to Sweden, but if the can have them ship to you, it should work. I need 15-20 of the knife i sent you and maybe a few, hiddentangs.

Seved

This is just opinion from experience so take it for what it's worth. ATS34 and 154CM are pretty much the same alloy, but have very different challenges. ATS34 got a bad rap some years back for, among other things, internal flaws. These only showed up in about 1 or 2% of blades, but were a pain because much of the grinding was done by the time you found it. As noted above, we haven't seen much of the clouding issue lately, but the internal flaws still show up from time to time.

154CM has it's challenges on the outside (like most of crucibles steels). To remove mill scale, they sandblast it and this leaves a sort of pebbled finish that some makers go crazy trying to remove. This can be eliminated completely by surface grinding or by ordering ground barstock. It also comes off pretty easily by running the bar lengthwise against a contact wheel with a 60g belt. Internally, 154CM is nice!

Both of these are good blade steels producing quality knives at reasonable price.

I tend to get howls of outrage when I offer my opinion on 440C, so I'll just quote what crucible has to say on their 154CM spec sheet. Howl at them if you like. :3:

----------------------------------------------
"154 CM has better corrosion

resistance, better wear resistance and better

hot-hardness than 440C. For knifemakers, it

offers better edge retention than 440C. It also

has higher attainable hardness and better

through hardening characteristics than 440C."
--------------------------------------------------------------

Since you posted this under heat treating, both ATS34 and 154CM heat treat the same with very close - and repeatable - results.

Rob!

Okey is 154CM finished the same as CPM154CM when they come. I kind of like the blasting of CPM154CM. I like the forged surface on carbonsteel to.
RWL34 comes with a kind blue/grey oxide surface and its hell to grind it. :(

LOL Yes steel is like calibers when you hunt everybody holds on to what they think is best. I like 440C its pretty nice, if you ask me :) .
Yes i will look for some HT recipe.

Seved

That sounds nice :D .

Yes i googled on ht temp. If i remembers right, the temp is the same as for CPM154CM.

Seved

Back