Need Your Opinions

Semper708

Your impressions and thoughts on the design.........Thanks:running dog:

Attachments

• New Knife.jpg
    New Knife.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 69
Honestly,, when I first started designing and makin knives, I designed around what was easiest for me to make, because I lacked the experience or confidence to veer away from what I knew I could do, you on the other hand have put a very Labor intensive and skilled blade to grind on a handle that could be so much more, just use that flow past the ricasso to the tang,, I like it,, I think you might have the skill to make me love it,, great job either way,. And anything positive is good.. A piece of 3/8 rusty tool steel I found at work and. A drawing,, less than 2 years ago. And now I'm in it, hooked , and love it, Its changed my life,,

Any way you decide to make it will be great as long as the user is comfortable with the design during use. I'm not a knifemaker (yet), just a guy that messes up alot of expensive steel trying. After spending time studying the designs of others and speaking to a few highly skilled makers I have learned that the overall comfort and performance of your knife will be better if you allow the handle to flow with the blade.

I would encourage you to consider redesigning the handle and have it curve down a bit. If you use the blade for any type of chopping or heavy cutting, the down curved handle will produce much less stress on your wrist that a straight handle will.

Just my $0.02. I hope this helps a little.

Your design looks very interesting. Will it be one piece of steel with scales? Sort of reminds me of the 2nd knife I dreamed up and had made except for your interesting blade profile. If anything, I'd opt for a more rounded handle and possibly a slight 'palm swell'.

DSCN8699.jpg

Your design looks very interesting. Will it be one piece of steel with scales? Sort of reminds me of the 2nd knife I dreamed up and had made except for your interesting blade profile. If anything, I'd opt for a more rounded handle and possibly a slight 'palm swell'.

DSCN8699.jpg

Clydetz, One piece, and was going to use carbon fiber for the handles. Thanks for the input from all. I will make some changes on the handle and hope to post later on what I have done.

What is the rule of thumb for handle length? I had a two others designs with shorter, but after making cut-0uts of the two went with a longer handle on this one.

Thanks again for you inputs.......I love this place!2thumbs

Here is the first two designs

Here they are......:confused:

Attachments

• brad Knife design.jpg
    brad Knife design.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 10
...What is the rule of thumb for handle length? I had a two others designs with shorter, but after making cut-0uts of the two went with a longer handle on this one...

I don't know if it's a rule of thumb but after checking a bunch of custom and production fixed blades of your size, seems like 4 1/2" - 5" is the standard. I have small hands and 4 1/2" handles work fine for me but I do prefer a 5" handle. The length of the handle could also help with the 'balance' of the knife.

Thanks, I thought the 5" would be the size I needed, but I guess when I start to make this one I'll make a few templates and see how they feel and adjust accordingly. I know I'm going to have to try a few before I get the grind correct.cry me a river 1

Back