Bader Sander For Newbie?

Dmac

After making 10 blades with basic tools I have a case of tennis elbow that is slow to go away. I love doing a flat grind with a magicut file (hobby, no hurry) but I think its time to get a grinder\sander. I got a Skill 4 x 36 and when you put steel or wood to it, it sounds like a V8 with a rod knocking. I got the money to get anything I want but this is a hobby.
I know this gets old to answer again about grinders but would the Bader D-5010R 2 1/2 x 48 work for the hobby folk? I would get the Bader B-III this leaves no room for a Paragon oven.(2000 grand to work with). Thanks for any help.

You will benefit from the great selection, wide availability and competitive prices of 2 x 72 belts.

Rob!

edited - got it $2000 total budget. Still suggest a decent 2 x 72 - lots of info here of selections available - and get the kiln later if you need to. HT isn't that expensive.

Last edited:
I agree! With a 2 1/2" belt, you'll be VERY limited on both the variety and quality of belts you can acquire. One of the good things about the B-III is they are always in demand (as well as any of the other "top end" 2x72 machines) and even IF you decide you don't want it, you will almost always get your money back out of it, or very nearly. If you buy the 2 1/2" machine, most likely you wouldn't be able to give it away if you tire of it.

Man, you guys are great, fast reply. Looks like my wife going to be mad. Bader-B III it is, whats another 500.00 bucks!!! I'll take her out to Ruby Tuesday's to make up for it. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Man, you guys are great, fast reply. Looks like my wife going to be mad. Bader-B III it is, whats another 500.00 bucks!!! I'll take her out to Ruby Tuesday's to make up for it. Thanks again.

If you are going all out on this our new friend you need a variable speed machine. Look at the Bader mentioned, But also look at the KMG metioned and the Hardcore thur Tru-Grit abrasives www.trugrit.com/ I own one of those and one KMG and one Coote Grinder as well.

You can also setup the Coote & KMG to be adjustable speed with some step pulleys!
The Coote was my first! Norman Coote is a great man and will walk you through the set up! www.cootebeltgrinder.com/

Keep us posted!

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com/

Well, if money isn't an obstacle, I'd go with a variable speed TW-90 grinder with all the attachments. Then take her out to Olive Garden :s7435:

Man, Coote grinders look cool and the TW-90 is way pass fine. I talk to Pop's at "Pops Knife Supply and he was selling me up to the variable speed 1 1\2 Bader! This is way out of control cause after I talk to Pop's I put one of my saxophones up for sale. The Paragon kiln is on the way, got the Km18.I will keep you guy posted on the grinder and again thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Man, got my teeth kicked in when a knife I sold is coming back to me. Scale I didn't sand pass I think. Anyway, I need to walk before I run so I bought the grizzly grinder with a 10 inch wheel.

If Ruby Tuesday's works for you let me know and I will try it. :biggrin: Somehow I don't think that is going to cut it. Wish you all the luck in the world and welcome to knifemaking.

If it's not to late! Pass on the grizzly!
It's OK But your much better off with a Coote and a cheap Motor and pulleys to get started!
Norman Coote will walk you through setup and I will help too if need be!
I have a Grizzly Bandsaw That I am very happy with,But there grinder you will out grow very fast!

Laurence

www.westsidesharpening.com/

If it's not to late! Pass on the grizzly!
It's OK But your much better off with a Coote and a cheap Motor and pulleys to get started!
Norman Coote will walk you through setup and I will help too if need be!
I have a Grizzly Bandsaw That I am very happy with,But there grinder you will out grow very fast!

Laurence

www.westsidesharpening.com/

I'd ask to ask Ruby Tuesdays to rent me their storage closet because I wouldnt have a place to live.

If you are like most of us just tell her honey I got it for a steal only $50.00! :what!:

Then I say a prayer, please don't let my wife and kids sell my tools for what I told them I paid for them when I die! Oh well maybe at least some knife maker will get a great deal.:biggrin:

Let me know how the Grizzly G1015 works for you ! I am also on a budget:biggrin: I ran out of resturants, now it's going to cost me a cruise !!!!:lol:

I am still new to the game, and I have a bader-III. A lot of makers all them the old reliable machines. Its really easy to use, and it tons of extras you can get with it if needed.

There are a number of good grinders available and you can look into some of the "U Build It" models.
Check out the NWG (No Weld Grinder) plans at www.usaknifemaker.com,
GIB (Grinder In a Box) at ,www.polarbearforge.com,
www.wilmontgrinders.com
and certainly don't forget Moe's Grinder DVD, Kits or a finished grinder at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com.
With any of these you can save money and get a better understanding of how your grinder works and if needed, how to fix it or modify or upgrade it.

Back