to different woods for scales how ??

graveyard

id like to make a one peace handel with different wood on each end can some one show me a how to? thanks graveyard novist

If I understand your question correctly you want to make knife scales with two different woods with a different wood on each end. First of all you can glue the scale blanks together with the ends butted up to each other or you can dove tail them by cutting the adjoining at reciprical angles. The best way to dove tail is to cut or grind both pieces on the same angle and then flip one over. If you want a particular surface to show you will have to remember to flip one piece over before forming the angle. The dovetailing will allow you to have a stronger glue joint. Another thing that you might do is to glue some liner material onto the back of the scale blank to splint the two pieces together.

I would also make the scale blanks a little oversized so that I could line up the glue joint on both of them and clamp them together. Then I would cut the blanks to length at the same time. This would also be the time to shape the contours of the leading edge of the blanks together.

From there the installation is pretty standard. Drill the pin holes in the tang, with at least one hole to go through each end of the scales, then glue one blank in place and let the glue dry. Then drill the pin holes through the first blank and glue the second blank into place. You will need to be doubly and triply sure that the second blank is lined up with the first one before you set it aside to allow the glue to cure. After that drill the pin holes through the second scale, using the existing holes as a guide, then glue in the pins. You can then go ahead and shape the scales as you would normally.

Doug

Back