Odd request, purple dyed wood??

Lerch

My wife has laid out her request for Valentine's day, she wants a house hold utility style knife with nice wood grips, that are purple :) I have seen a lot of dyed wood scales that are usually some variation of a blue color, any idea where i can get something in a purple style dye?? I had seen some small sections of wood branches that were set in epoxy sideways and dyed so once cut into slabs they looked like eyes, that would be awesome!!!

i got plenty of time on this one so im just testing the waters to see if anyone knows of anything. worst comes to worst i can always make her one out of pink G10 but she has already see that, i wanna be original

thanks
steve

Lerch,

There are two ways to go that come to mind right now,

Purple Heart Wood can be Stabilized, I had some done last summer and it came out great, I will check if I have any left?

The second is the Acrylic purple MOP that K&G supply and the other houses sell. I have used that with great results on Culinary knives for Lady's just like your wife's request.

Laurence
www.westsidesharpening.com

On ebay you will find box elder dyed many colors including purple. Company called Staburl. Just type box elder. ...see what comes up.

Good kingwood has a beautiful deep purple hue with black streaks. It looks a lot like a purple version of cocobolo.

Dymmondwood or however you spell it has purple. I made my sister an 8" chefs knife and she wanted purple grips so that's what I did up for her.

Burl Source has some "very purple" dyed and stabilized wood. I just ordered a piece of buckeye burl from Mark.

Last edited:
Thank you all very much for the help, i found some early today on Eblah , it is pink and purple as much as anyone could have imagined so i am sure it will suffice!! :)

thanks you all, very colorful pics will be coming soon lol

steve

Back