Scalper

R Appleby

KNIFE MAKER
I needed a change of pace last week. I walked in the shop and looked at my forge and said screw it, I want to forge something. I haven't forged a knife in about 6 years because of tendon damage and a surgery. I enjoy making primitives and it's not the same by stock removal. Here is what I came up with.

Blade; 12 1/2 inches X 1 1/2 inches X 3/16Th's forged 1080. Blade has been left rough forged, I wanted that late 1700's frontier blacksmith feel.

Handle; Elk with poured pewter ferrule and but cap(pewter actually goes all the way through the tang hole).

Sheath; 8/9oz leather belt pouch covered in rawhide with brass spots. Edge is bound with Elk skin leather. Raw hide has been incised with some basic geometric patterns just for fun.

Oal; 18 inches.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Scalper1.jpgScalper2.jpg

Thanks for Looking

Last edited:
thats a great lookng blade and sheath pal very nice work.
i too enjoy hand forging my blades i have yet to do a stock removal. gonna try one day soon tho.
Leigh

That is one great looking period piece Scalper!

So you poured the pewter hot? into the antler? Could you tell us about the process of this?

I love those hammer marks Too!

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com

That is one great looking period piece Scalper!

So you poured the pewter hot? into the antler? Could you tell us about the process of this?

I love those hammer marks Too!

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com

Thanks All, It's a very simple process. Route out the area to be filled. If its on a flat you will need to undercut(dovetail) the pattern. I make a dam with card stock and masking tape. I mark the heigth on the blade I want to pour to. I melt and heat the pewter to 440/450 degrees and pour to my line. Plug or epoxy the tang hole in the handle or the pewter will run right through. Then I file to shape, sand, and give a wash with ferric chloride and neutralize with denatured alcohol.

Thats it.

thanks again

Single Action Shooting Society People will start a bidding war for that Knife. They would be proud to have that hanging from their Gun Belt ! You sparked my memory, when you gave your procedure for pouring Pewter. Years ago I helped a friend to do this to a Sharp's Rifle.
Got my creative mind going. Trying to clear out the cob webs, but theirs a lot up there for my age:noway:

Back