Christmas gifts for my parents - 2 custom knives

Sebspeed

These two knives are my second (blue) and third (brown) ever. I wanted to see how well I could do with "real" materials as opposed to the lawn mower blade I used last time.

Both are 440C stainless, created via stock removal(bandsaw/drill press/belt sander, & air tools). Hardened to just over 58hrc. Both are full tang with G10 scales and solid brass pins.

The one for my Dad (blue) was more of an art project, not sure if he's going to use or carry it yet. I may alter the grind depending on his desired use.

My mom wanted a paring knife, so I made a thinner blade with a nice contoured handle catered for right-hand use. The blade isn't pretty, but it's sharp and she likes it a lot. More so than the Cutco she asked me to copy. :)

Here are some pics, would be pleased to hear what y'all think of them.

dbd79c47.jpg

b1bc65e8.jpg

1ec0da24.jpg

6bfe6f46.jpg

68a8cd84.jpg

05d49cf8.jpg

4e56441a.jpg

c8daf85b.jpg

68e8a7ca.jpg

great looking gifts for your parents.
I really love the shape of your (art) hunting knife, very creative
Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Blue is fantastic.
I would have preferred not to make that cut in front of the 'ring.
I think there may well be an area where a break is easier

I'm happy to report that my Mom as been using her Cutco replica paring knife daily since Christmas, and it is holding up well. She hasn't used the Cutco knife since I made this one for her. My mother is in the kitchen for a good portion of her day, all meals home cooked no cheating at their house. Still sharp and useful!

Back