How To Finish Micarta/G-10

DonL

Is it me or is Micarta/G-10 just harder to finish than wood?

I've done a few handles and they've turned out great. Others however, are a disaster. I prefer the smooth semi glossy to glossy look on the handles rather than the fuzzy feel.

I generally rough it out with a 120 belt and then start hand sanding at 120. Then up to 400 and sometimes finish up with a ScotchBrite pad or steel wool. Sometimes I get good results, but most of the times not.

What am I doing wrong here?

Any suggestions?

Don I belt sand to 220. I start hand sanding with 220 and use lamp oil as a lubricant. GO 440,600,1000. THEN BUFF. I am using the oil with every grit change and you will find it keeps it cleaner so you can see the spots you haven't taken down far enough.

Merry Christmas

Thanks Mike!! I haven't thought about a lubricant when sanding micarta but it makes sense. I've been cleaning best I could between grits with Windex but will try some light oil instead!

Merry Christmas to you and your family and have a Happy & Prosperous New Year!!

Hey Mike. I didn't have lamp oil, but I used WD-40 and sanded up to 1000 grit and then buffed with some brown triipoli on a cone chucked up in my drill press. I think I had the drill press set about 1400 rpm (don't have a real buffer...lol). Got a nice glassy smooth finish!! Thanks a million for your suggestion. I really appreciate it!!

DonL,

How did you get the fuzzy finish on the Micarta. I accidentally did it on a paring knife but can't remember how I did it. I like it when my hands are wet and slimy with food.

Thanks,

Ric

I did my first high polish on some black g10 this weekend.
I ended up taking the g10 to 400 with belts then hand sanding with 400. After that to the buffer I hit it with green chrome and finished with pink scratchless. It shined like a new penny.:cool:

BadDog,

If I start sanding with something like a 60 grit sandpaper, the micarta gets a rough fuzzy feeling. It doesn't ever seem to go away unless I did what Mike suggested, then it gets nice and smooth.

Thanks for the info. I'm in the process of making a paring knife that I'd like to have the fuzz finish on it.

Ric

Usually it starts losing it's "fuzz" after 400 grit. So, a 320 grit to 400 grit finish will give you a smooth handle with a little grip.

Back