Some just starting questions

CraigBest

Looking forward to diving into knife making. A couple questions maybe you guys can help me with

1. I really like folding pocket knifes but should I go with a fixed blade for my first one? Is it a lot easier?

2.Is there a handle material thats easiest to work with?

3. My first thought is to buy a blank kit and a block of material and just get after it following a lot of the helpful info on this site (especially in the tutorial section). Any advice against that?

Thanks a bunch and Merry Christmas.

Regardless of fixed or folding, starting with a kit is probably the best way to start. A kit will already have you heading in a definative direction from the start. It will also give you a heads-up on how all the components have to work together. Being a beginer, you might consider working with mostly hand tools to reduce the oops factor. Go slow and easy and store away (notebook) your experiences while making the knife. Stay away from natural materials (pearl, ivory, etc) for handles till you get some experience in working Micarta and wood (cheap). Unless you're a prodigy....there's a definate learning curve to overcome. Take lots of pics along the way too.

Good luck,
Rudy

buy a blank kit and a block of material and just get after it

I like that attitude! Way too many folks try to learn everything from books, videos, and forums before they ever even attempt making a knife. While all of those things are good, and can be helpful, nothing can replace "hands on" time as a learning tool. Everything in the books, videos, and all too often on forums go smoothly without problems....and it's the problems, and how you overcome them that provide the greatest lessons.

I always encourage folks to start with "straight" knives, then once they have a few of them under their belt(s), go into folders is they desire. Folders require a whole different level of precision in order to build them "right".

I'm not sure if "easier" is how I would describe building straight knives, maybe "simpler"....and I think it's important to have some early success to build confidence and fuel the desire.

Probably the "easiest" handle material to work with would be stabilized Maple/Maple Burl.....stabilizing gives it consistency in how it works. Each handle material tends to have it's own special working characteristics, and it will really boil down to what appeals to you.

The simplest/easiest route would be to purchase a "kit" knife.....generally all you'll have to do is install and finish down the handle. That will get you started on how that portion should be done, without having to worry about grinding the blade, and many other factors involved if starting from scratch.

Knifemaking is all about the journey, NOT the destination. It's ever evolving, and always learning.

Back