1095, Spalted Maple and Giraffe bone

Lerch

Hi all

I finished this one up while doing my dads Christmas present knife. Dads knife doesnt need to be finished for a few more days but this one is getting picked up friday morning so i got her done tonight.

Specs are

1095 1/8" steel, differentially heat treated (clay quenched)
Convex grind, LN Cryo treatment and 3x tempered
Spalted Maple bolsters
black spacers
Giraffe bone accent piece
Spalted maple handles
stainless 1/16" pins

heres the pics, maybe a little better this time, still nothing great
bradford6.jpg

bradford4.jpg

bradford1-1.jpg

bradford3.jpg

bradford2.jpg

bradford5.jpg

let me know what ya think and where i need to improve

thanks and Merry Christmas to all of ya

steve

That is a cool pattern you have there!
Looks like a Mini Kukuri I really like it! Also a great idea with the Spaulted Maple with the Giraffe Bone in the middle!
I will say that you need to watch your placement on the Lanyard hole. You seem to have put it out to the rear a bit!
Keep up the great work!

Laurence
www.westsidesharpening.com

I like it. I'm interested in your grind. Is that convex or am I missing something? Tell me about it.

Eric

Yes it is a convex grind, i finally figured out how to take apart my flat platen enough to get a big enough slack belt area to do it.

THe blade shape i came up with after using a disposable blade system scapel to do some work on a elk hide. I got the idea for the finger rest in front of the guard from reading a lot of Fowlers books, and after using it i love having a rest there.

Where would i be better off to re locate the laynard hole??

thanks
steve

I have really come to like the convex grind so far, i really enjoy the gentle sweep and angles it gives the blade. I dont know enough to speak on blade geometry's and the pro's and con's of each type of grind but this one just seems natural to me and i enjoy it. Hopefully over the course of this winter i will put this design and variations of it to test on some wild hogs, should be fun at least :)

thank
steve

Steve, you and I share a passion for hunting...it's what got me interested in making knives to begin with. Plus, the idea of making a knife exactly the way I wanted it and not having to make do with what I could get. That seems to be the case for you as well. You have developed a knife that does what you want it to do. I bet that style would really be great for skinning a whitetail. Congratulations on following what you know works for you. I am sure it will work for others too.

Eric

It may be just the picture? , But it looks like the lanyard hole is too close to the edge of the knife Handle.
When using wood handles I like to place the Lanyard hole with a minimum of a 1/4" plus away from the edge.
That way the Wood will not be likely to chip from any pressures.
Good Luck.
Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com/

Back