Final polishing on a knife?

jono7183

What type of products would ya'll recommend for polishing up the knife when completed? I've heard of different compounds that you can use for both the blade and handle? any recommendations??

I use Renaissance Wax for about everything. It puts a protective coat on steel, polishes wood, it even puts a great clear coat on leather sheaths and conditions them.

Doug

I'm with Doug on that. I put some on the second knife I made over 2 years ago, still no rust on a 1095 blade! In humid Alabama is astonishing! Do keep in mind that with use it will need to be recoated every so often. Rex

Thanks!, i'll try it. Wheres the best /cheapest place that carries it, or where it can be ordered...Thanks again

Jono,
I think Boss carries it, I bought the smallest can of it a couple years ago, I use it on every knife I make, including the leather sheath if it was requested, I still have over half of it still a little goes a long ways. Now here is where I will install a "BUT"! While Renaissance Wax is great stuff, I can't say it is better than some of the other waxes out there. I know other makers use regular car wax, like the Mother's brand, some even use turtle wax, if cost is important like everyone else, I would look into that. I bought my can before I knew that other waxes were being used.

Now as for your original question, you wanted to know what products we use to finish a knife? That depends, on so many different variables, most folks are going to shoot for a satin finish, which is done with sand paper, starting at a low grit, which depends how high of a grit you took it on the grinder...if you used a grinder that is. Fill me in on some more info, like the type of finish you want, the tools you have, etc., and I'll help as much as I can, and I'm sure there are many others here that will too! Rex

+1 McClellan - I read where Caffrey was using it and bought a can. It does a nice job and is cheap enough. A huge can is $8 where a small can of Rennaissance goes for $20 plus.

This is the wax that topped all others in a moisture penetration test. I have used it for years; an excellent product.

31vKF%2B9Jh9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks guys, and to you too Rex! I actually was talking about the polish part, being some type of wax...I'm very new to this, have only been a handle maker so to speak, (using blades already made) but i will get to stock removal some day. I cant say enough about this forum. I went from absolutely knowing nothing, to knowing a bit about the whole process now.I've also been making my own leather sheaths as well.I'll probably post a pick when i finally do one that im not too embaressed to show!lol
Oscar

Thanks guys, and to you too Rex! I actually was talking about the polish part, being some type of wax...I'm very new to this, have only been a handle maker so to speak, (using blades already made) but i will get to stock removal some day. I cant say enough about this forum. I went from absolutely knowing nothing, to knowing a bit about the whole process now.I've also been making my own leather sheaths as well.I'll probably post a pick when i finally do one that im not too embaressed to show!lol
Oscar

Oscar,
We are Knife DOGS!!! We show it all here, the best with the worst, no matter where you may fall in between the entire purpose is to learn!! I owe this goup so much I wil never to truly repay all I've learned. Nothing wrong with not knowing, the thing is to learn as much as possible, and develop your skills. The real beauty of KD is that when someone comes on and asks a question, that gets the ball rolling for others to learn something they might not know about, then everyone gets to learn something new. Enjoy your stay in the Dawg Pound!!! the barking gets loud sometimes, but it's usually a very comfortable place to be! Rex

Back