Colorful Trio for Christmas

Lerch

I finished these three up today for some Christmas presents for a friend and a cousin of mine. I usually like a more natural or even camo type of color scheme on my knives but they all wanted some pretty bright colors and in the end I am pretty happy with them

Specs:

All are 1095 steel from Aldo, 1/8" thick and differentially heat treated

the three, can you guess which one if for a lady??
trio2.jpg

Here is a 6.5" utility knife for a woman, pink G10 with elk antler accent piece and black spacers with stainless pins
trio5.jpg

Here is a 6.5" utility knife for a cousin of mine, blue and black micarta grips with buffalo horn accent piece and white spacers, stainless pins
trio3.jpg

And the last one is a 9" hunter/camp knife, neon green G10 and buffalo horn accent piece with white spacers and stainless pins
trio4.jpg

As always the photos are not up to snuff, someday i will figure it out, hopefully the temper lines are visable on each blade, in person there pretty easily seen.

let me know what ya think and as always where i can improve

thanks
steve

Dude,
You are doing great! And you skillz are coming along at light speed! only thing I'd like to see is some different patterns, when I first started forging, every knife looked that same, almost to the point of them looking like they had been cut out! I saw that as limiting myself, and other skills that needed work, so I made myself do something different. I still make that knife from time to time, because I like the style of knife and I add a little something different to it, or at least try. It's almost like I'm on autopilot when I do any free forging, but free forging is where I come up with my greatest ideas, and forging is the only way I can make those ideas a reality, it is a struggle sometimes, but at least it's FUN!!! Great looking knives!!! Love the handles, especially the pink one!!!! Rex

Thank ya sir

I appreciate the compliments. Ya i am going to be trying some different designs pretty soon, a few im really looking forward to making. these were some that were ordered by some customer/friends who had seen some previous ones and liked the design. Two more like this and then i am done for the holidays, then some new stuff to come,

thanks again
steve

Nice set Steve. You sure got that big bellied blade thing going! I like the color variations....good job!

Eric

Thank ya

I have one more of the big bellied blades to go and then a less aggressive belly on a hunter for my dad for Christmas, then i am done for a bit

thanks
steve

They look a little "Ed Fowler-ish" minus the sheep horn. That is surely not a bad thing at all.

1095 is an excellent choice if it is heat treated right. Just plain hard to beat.

Great looking work........ Show us more.

Robert

Thank you sir

Well the blade shape i decided on after using a removable blade scalpel to cape out my elks skull on a hunt, it was very handy and proved itself again on a test knife on a deer/hog hunt.

I have read a lot of Ed Fowler stuff and like his knifes a lot so I have for sure taken some direction from him, figured it wasnt a bad place to go from :)

The finger hold in front of the guard idea i got from him, and i really like it, it comes in very handy.

Not to shock ya but the two i am working on at the moment have sheep horn accent pieces in the lol , but to be honest it ordered it a longgggg time ago, long before i read any of his books

I am liking 1095 so far pretty well, i would like to try some other stuff but the price was tough to beat from Aldo on 48" slabs once you've gotten used to paying for 154cm lol

me heat treating has been as follows, normalize by heating to 1450 and cooling to black, heating to 1425 and cooling to black, heating to 1400 and cooling to black. Then apply satanite clay and heat to 1450deg and hold for 5min and quench in Parks 50 oil heated to 100deg. Temper immediatly at 400deg for 2 hours, then cryo in liquid nitrogen overnight, then temper twice at 400deg for 2 hours. Im always open to recommendations if anyone knows of anything

thank you for the compliments

steve

Sounds like you have your heat treat down pretty doggone well.

Show us the knives with the Sheep Horn when you finish them.

Robert

Back