Carved/Textured blackwood with bronze

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
This completes an unmatched set of two hunting knives that were ordered for a guy to give to his boys.

I threw in a picture of the knife and all the parts right before glue-up just for fun. Everything is pinned together as well as glued so nothing can move or twist.

Specs:
Forged from 1084 steel
8 3/4" overall, 4 inch blade (3 1/2" sharp), .180" thick at the ricasso
African Blackwood handle with carving and texturing
Bronze guard with bronze and black g-10 accents
Bronze and black g-10 accent in handle

Blackwood1.jpg

Blackwood2.jpg

Blackwood3.jpg

Blackwood4.jpg

Blackwood5.jpg

BEAUTIFUL WORK!!!
I would love to learn some of the tricks to doing a textured handle like that. That is a skill I want to learn, like yesterday, is it hard to get it right? THANKS FOR SHARING! Rex

Great looking knife, I always like seeing either take down pictures or pictures w/raw material and the finished knife. Dan

Thanks for the comments guys. I appreciate it.

BEAUTIFUL WORK!!!
I would love to learn some of the tricks to doing a textured handle like that. That is a skill I want to learn, like yesterday, is it hard to get it right? THANKS FOR SHARING! Rex

Hi Rex. The texturing itself is not terribly difficult. I think attention must be payed to make it all the same depth and make sure every part of the smooth surface gets touched with the burr. But that's pretty easy if you watch what you're doing.

I personally find that cutting the border is extremely difficult. I do it free hand, as I think most do and it's like drawing a picture, which I'm not good at. To me it's very stressful to start into freehand carving on a very nice piece that's already done and polished, especially with a deadline looming. :)

So yeah to me, the border is one of the top three hardest things for me in knifemaking.

Back