best way to put spacer on tang?

jono7183

whats the best way to put a colored spacer on a fixed blade knife? do you glue the spacer to the handle material or tang itself? i think im messing this up!

I assume we're talking about a full tang? If so, the way I do it is to "glue" the spacer material to the inside(s) of the handle material, then finish down the front of the handle material. I do it by drilling and fitting the scales to the tang with temp pins...then grind the profile of the scales to match the tang, then take the scales off the tang, temp pin them together and grind/completely finish off the front of the handles......then put the scales back into place on the tang, vaseline the blade and the front of the handle material, gently take the scales back off, apply your preferred "glue", and then put it all back together and clamp the scales to cure. Once the "glue" is cured, finish shaping the handle and finish it out as normal.

The vaseline will keep any glue from sticking where you don't want it. There will usually be a small seam of glue at the front of the scales....I use a tool I made from a brass rod (1/4", sharpened to a needle point) to "pop" off any glues that seeped out the front of the scale/tang joints. The tool will allow you remove any cured "glue", but will not scratch the steel/blade.

Last edited:
The vaseline will keep any glue from sticking where you don't want it. There will usually be a small seam of glue at the front of the scales....I use a tool I made from a brass rod (1/4", sharpened to a needle point) to "pop" off any glues that seeped out the front of the scale/tang joints. The tool will allow you remove any cured "glue", but will not scratch the steel/blade.[/QUOTE]

Thats a great tip I would have never thought of that.
Thanks Ed for sharing your wealth of info,I enjoy reading your posts.

Back