Knife Making Materials for Christmas Gift

Mrs Jones

Hello folks,

I'm a mom looking for information and recommendations for my 15 year old son's Christmas gifts. He has a growing collection of knives but he is also interested in making knives. Is there a kit you would suggest he start with? What other resources could I show him that would help get him started?

I appreciate any direction you can offer.

Thanks for your time,

Sincerely
Oney Jones

I would suggest the book How To Make Knives, by David Boye. I believe you can get it from A. G. Russell. Also the book The $50.00 knife shop by Wayne Goddard. I recently helped a 12 year old boy put a gaurd and handle on a damascus blade he bought from Smokey Mountian Knife Works. That was his begining in knifemaking and he will progress from there into the whole process.

Welcome Mrs. jones. I would suggest going to www.knifemaking.com. They have several kits that include everything to assemble a knife. That is how I started. Feel free to call or email me using the info below if you have any more questions.

Edited to add that Calvin is right, books and dvd's are excellent for helping him with instructions on all aspects of knifemaking. Also fill out your profile. There may just be a maker in your area that will give him some hands on instruction.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention this forum, there are many tutorials and he can ask questions of the other knifemakers here. This is a "G" rated forum, completely safe for your son to visit.

I would suggest the book How To Make Knives, by David Boye. I believe you can get it from A. G. Russell. Also the book The $50.00 knife shop by Wayne Goddard. I recently helped a 12 year old boy put a gaurd and handle on a damascus blade he bought from Smokey Mountian Knife Works. That was his begining in knifemaking and he will progress from there into the whole process.

I do have the Goddard book on order and I will see if I can track down the Russell book. Thank you for the suggestion. It's great that you are willing to help a young man with this art.

Thank you all for the links and support. I plan to have him register here after Christmas when he has a kit or two. DVD's-- I hadn't thought of that and I suppose there are youtube videos on how to make knives since there are youtube videos for every other thing under the sun. :5:

I appreciate your offers of help and the fact that this is a family-friendly forum. I'm sure he will learn much from you.. and yes, I let my sons tinker in (almost) anything that interests them. We are homeschoolers and I'll never forget one time when one of the boys said to his brother: "Yahoo! Mom's bringing in the blow-it up box!" (Just to clarify, I was bringing the chemistry sets and test tubes to the table for science. :lol: ) So yeah, my boys and sharp, pointy things is just another day in the life of us. :3:

Mrs. Jones, if you will share with us where you are from (city, state), we may have a Knife Dog in the area who would be willing to assist your son in his first venture into knifemaking.

Mrs. Jones. You get my vote for MOM of the Year! Send him here and you will not see him again! We will help him how ever he needs it.

Mrs Jones Like the others are saying its important to fill out your location where you live and so on . There may be several makers within 20 miles of you willing to help your son get started in the right direction. Kellyw

Mrs. Jones:
I'm probably partial to this forum, but I have to say everybody is first class, never a mean or sarcastic comment. The members welcome all new comers and are glad to give advise. Tell your son the old adage the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. He will find friends here that will help him.

Jay

Thank you all for the links and support. I plan to have him register here after Christmas when he has a kit or two. DVD's-- I hadn't thought of that and I suppose there are youtube videos on how to make knives since there are youtube videos for every other thing under the sun. :5:

I appreciate your offers of help and the fact that this is a family-friendly forum. I'm sure he will learn much from you.. and yes, I let my sons tinker in (almost) anything that interests them. We are homeschoolers and I'll never forget one time when one of the boys said to his brother: "Yahoo! Mom's bringing in the blow-it up box!" (Just to clarify, I was bringing the chemistry sets and test tubes to the table for science. :lol: ) So yeah, my boys and sharp, pointy things is just another day in the life of us. :3:

The boy I helped with the Bowie knife was a home scooled kid and I was proud to be part of his education.

Back