True or false, 154cm

Flraptor07

I've only been knife making for about 6 months but I have lots of fabrication experience. I'm heat treating with a Propane forge and I was told that it is not nessasary to wrap 154cm because the Propane forge makes a neutral atmosphere from burning the gas. Is this true?

154CM requires a soak time at fairly precise temperature for at minimum 30 minutes - and better 45 minutes to an hour. I'm not a smith, but presume this is difficult. I can't speak to the neutral atmosphere, but suggest you try it with something disposable first. Let us know what the results are.

Rob!

You may be able to do your own OK or fairly good HT on 154cm in your forge? The statement doesn't sound true to me!

I have sent all of my Stainless Blades to Paul Bos Heat Treatment at Buck Knives for over 15 years. They have a state of the art facility and do a liquid Nitrogen soak to second harden these steels. None better!

Save your trial & error heat treating for Carbon Steel knives until you really feel you know what your doing with these CPM Stainless Steels.!

WELCOME!

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com/

I HT all of my 154CM: wrap blanks stainless foil. Soak @1930F for 20 min, plate quench, temper @ 400F for 2 hours, cryo w/ liquid nitrogen and then 2 additional temper cycles. RC appx 58-60.

BC

Well that pretty much settles it, I'm gettin' some 309 foil and a pair of quench plates! I've done 1095 and Elmax with great results in my Propane forge but this will be my first attempt at 154cm and from all I've read it's more involved than the 1095 and the Elmax. I've got a laser temp gun and a good regulator on my forge so I've had good luck controlling the temp in the forge. It was a pass through forge but I built a door for one end and that helped a lot with the consistency of temp, I'll let ya'll know how it goes. Thanx BC and everybody else for all your responses!:biggrin:

Last edited:
Thanx Laurance, I know Paul Bos does a excellent job heat treating but I'm one of those guys that likes to do everything I can in house and I'm willing to spend the time to learn even though it may take some time doing it at nights and weekends LOL! At this point it's just a hobbie but who knows if I ever retire it may turn into something a little bigger
You may be able to do your own OK or fairly good HT on 154cm in your forge? The statement doesn't sound true to me!

I have sent all of my Stainless Blades to Paul Bos Heat Treatment at Buck Knives for over 15 years. They have a state of the art facility and do a liquid Nitrogen soak to second harden these steels. None better!

Save your trial & error heat treating for Carbon Steel knives until you really feel you know what your doing with these CPM Stainless Steels.!

WELCOME!

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com/

Back