"HOPE" Apoc#5

Church & Son

A contest at the blog “The End of the World as We Know It“ is about if you could only have one, what knife would you take in the event of disaster. This is not a zombie freak site but a good informative blog about being prepared for an Apocalyptic event. Well, me being a world renowned blacksmith ( legendary in my own mind) I made the prize for the contest and was asked to be a judge.

Since the contest is about the one knife you can have after the event, I’ll be making this one with only things already here, as I would have to do in the event of disaster. I walked out to the forge, opened the door and an old Nicholson file was the first iron I saw. As I was cranking on the forge I thought about that after all the preparations I sincerely hope we never have to actually use all these skills for anything other than fun, so I named the prize knife…..HOPE…..Apocalypse # 5.

hope7.jpg
hope9.jpg

Forged on charcoal, the “Roach” style blade was left as file-like as possible, the file handle end is curled over and a glass breaker filed in the end. Shellac soaked Hemp wrap on the handle. Also an Antler button on a leather thong for……in case ya need a button.

hope5.jpg

The sheath took some thought. I looked threw the scrap box and found some horse hide scraps traded from a saddler and a piece of Warthog hide given to me by a exotic taxidermist friend who shall remain unnamed(but everybody knows who I'm talking about)
I’ve always been a fan of “Crow” style sheaths from the mid 1800′s so this is what I came up with. Your belt goes over and threw the slot so you can move it around the body as needed. I wear them cross-draw on the left side. Usual finish of shellac, dirt, grease and homemade stuff.
I used the Kiridashi to cut out the leather and as a space holder for the pigskin pouch so it deserves to be a part of the package, plus with a hard rock you can start a fire with it.
I enjoyed doing this set….Randy

Last edited:
Well Randy let me tell you that IF it ever comes to this I will be making my way up to you. You seem to have a good head start on being perpared and good foresight for what might be.
Great imagination goes a long way. Nice prize, Judge.
Wade

Thanks Wade, Lord of the Soggy Bottom Land, if the SHTF you stay put and we'll come to you. Fly-fishing for Bonefish, short pants year round and fried Grouper sandwiches on Cuban bread sounds like a good way to survive.

Thanks Brother G. I like the long handle also, been leaning towards them for a while. When you choke up on it for close work your finger finds the choil and thumb goes right to the top. I know it's not a CORRECT thing for your handle to be longer than the blade but... I'm not very correct either......

Looks like a very handy blade, Randy. I really like the whole package, a feller could get a lot done with that combo. I've been rolling one of those Crow style sheaths around in my noggin for a while, too. Might have to whip one up for a pig sticker I'm working on.

Groupie sandwiches? I knew you was an old rock star randy:biggrin: p.s. Hope springs eternal after seeing a knife like that one.

Back