1095, Camo Micarta and Buffalo Horn

Lerch

I finished this one up for a buddy of mine, his wife wanted it for a Christmas present. He's been a good buddy of mine for 15yrs and the best guy i know to have on your side in a bar fight, hopefully he gets good use out of it.

Specs are:

1095 differentially hardened 1/8" steel, cryo treated, 3x tempered, Convex grind, .75" finger rest in front of the guard
Boss Dogs camo canvas micarta
Black Buffalo Horn accent piece
.060" brass spacers
5.75" blade length

here's the pics
bretsknife3.jpg

bretsknife2.jpg

bretsknife.jpg

I wish i had a pic that would show off the coloration of the buffalo horn but i just couldnt capture it. Another hamon that ended up oddly with almost a hollow portion in the middle, but overall i liked the look of it. After etching the blade i polished it with Never Dull and then buffed it up with flitz just a little bit. the blade was polished to a mirror finish before etching.

let me know what ya think and where i can improve

thanks
steve

Last edited:
This one has a little less of the belly that I had on the Lightning Strike Carbon Fiber knife i posted a few days ago. I have been messing around with variations of this bellied skinner/camp knife design with the finger rest in front of the guard. So far this is my preferred variation, a decent belly but not too much. This combined with the overall taper of the convex grind allows for a easy under the shoulder stab to finish off a wild hog with minimal effort. i was lucky enough to test prove this fact early this weekend :)

"...the best guy i know to have on your side in a bar fight, hopefully he gets good use out of it."

You do know how that sounds...dont you?

Nice looking knife. I like the bellied blade look. I'm thinking it would be an awesome field knife.
The handle material is very nice and I like the way the brass seperates the buffalo horn from the micarta.
But I personally think the pins take away from the knife as a whole. Perhaps if they were smaller diameter? It's not that the knife doesnt present well because it does. Its just that to me the pins are overpowering.
Just because I say so doesnt mean I'm right. It's just my first impression...and I am not the expert.

Eric

Thanks Eric

Ya personally i thought there might be a little to much brass on this one with the pins and the spacers. Once i got it polished up I thought with the color of the micarta the amount of brass still "worked". It doesnt bug me to much on this one and the more i look at it i kind of like it, but i for sure think on a different handle color make up some smaller pins would be the way to go. I got 6 more knives ready to handle up this weekend, and all of them are drilled out for smaller pins than the 1/8" ones i used on this one, so i guess me and you were all ready on the same page lol

"...the best guy i know to have on your side in a bar fight, hopefully he gets good use out of it."

LOL, ummm ya i hope he gets good use out of it hunting lol, the bar fighting days are over for both of us lol, guess that did sound a little suspect haha

thanks
steve

Thanks guys, i agree with both of ya on the pins, in my personal opinion it doesnt bother me so much with the color make up of this knife but i can for sure see where it would be a pain on some other knives. i will use mostly 1/16" pins probably from now on

thanks
steve

Back